Honored Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

Sammycat...

A heated orthopedic bed and a flannel baby blankie sounds pur-fect to me especially because right now it's 9 degrees and it's still snowing where I live (25 miles NW of NYC).

Wishing you,DH and the Clan a very peaceful day today.

Sending out more very special prayers to KiKi-Girl and to Joey.

------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^={#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

I am in total agreement with Mr. Schmoo's assessment of winter. I love it, cold, snow flakes falling, big and small, but let me watch it all from a closed window. Then I will snuggle up with my Duraflame, and yes, a baby blankie will do nicely. Have a good Friday everyone.
Honored Contributor

Special prayers going out for Kiki-Girl, hope her checkup is hopeful. Joey, keep up the fight, I am still remembering QsZoo and Bluejay. I hope everyone is coping and healing.
Esteemed Contributor

Friday: We don't have a report on Kiki-Girl's oncology exam yet because she's on the West Coast and at the doctor now. We'll have an update tomorrow.

Brrrrrrr!!!!! We hope those of the clan of Schmoo who live in the wintry northeast are bundled up and warm tonight...nothing like a little snow and ice and wind and sub-zero temperatures to get the blood racing.

Which leads us to today's Schmoo Tale. Even though the duraflame and flannel blankies made things cozy in winter, Schmoo's heart would turn toward spring....and, ever the optimistic kitty that he was, he seemed to know it was right around the corner before the rest of us.

In the Feb. 1, 2013, photo below, when the snow went away and the temperatures started to climb, he started to give us signs that spring was close to getting sprung. How did we know?

Why, "spring cleaning" -- of course! A Man Cat needs to do some sprucing up after a tough winter. An amazing gymnastic feat considering his heart failure:

Frequent Contributor

You know Sammycat, a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Sorry I haven't been around lately. Hope all of you had a nice holiday and will have a great New Year.

I have kept up reading but usually during the middle of the night.

Sammycat, I think you have written your best posts in the last week and a half. I so enjoyed seeing the beautiful pictures of Sammycat. I see why you use his name as your sign in, I have so enjoyed all of your pictures of the rest of your furry family also.

I am so sorry for the posters that have lost their fur babies lately. I have said a prayer for all of them. I hate to mention their names because I just know I will leave some of them out.

I hope Kiki Girl reports come back good today. I know baby-sitter is at her wits end but so glad to have the support of your the your DH.

Take care...

Trusted Contributor

I wish I looked as cute when I am doing my spring cleaning.lol. He truly was limber even with his health issues and his age.I love how high he has the paw lifted up,so cute.

Still keeping Kiki Girl is my prayers and waiting for an update on her visit.I hope Kiki's Mom got some uplifting news.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Regular Contributor

This was a whirlwind holiday season for me and I am pitifully behind in getting here to read all the latest Schmoo posts! I am loving the photos and Sammycat's descriptive posts about Schmoo enjoying all the seasons. He truly lived life to its fullest, and that should be an example and lesson to all of us.

I woke up to 4 degrees today, but instead of complaining about that, I'll just imagine what Schmoo's reaction would be: to be thankful I have a warm house to stay in while I look out the windows at birds and squirrels scrambling around trying to find food and shelter, and at the blanket of crystalline snow laying on the ground, glistening white and pure with a peaceful calmness that we all need in our lives.

Sammycat, wishing you and your DH a New Year of love and happiness, good health, and continued wonderful remembrances of Mr. Schmoo -- our little golden hero!

Honored Contributor

Mr. Schmoo wanted to look his best, after all lots of creatures might see him when looking (patroling) out his window. I hope all of you hit by this winter storm are safe and warm. We are not receiving snow, but a strong cold front will be here tomorrow, with highs in the 20's, and lows around 9 degrees!! I have my Duraflame and soft blankies.
Esteemed Contributor

Saturday report: Thanks DorothyL and Streetangel for popping in, and your very kind words. We'll continue Schmoo Tales as long as the Clan of Schmoo wants to read them!

Good news on Kiki-Girl: her weight stayed the same and is where it should be; physical exam great; no bloodwork results yet. This will be the first time she can go a full 2 months before her next checkup, and if she stays the course, she might be able to reduce her chemo a notch. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your prayers.

Even though our family was small (me, DH and 3 pets), it could get hectic like any modern family. One adjustment we had to make was about a year after we had adopted Schmoo. DH was promoted to a management position -- at night.

It was an enormous challenge to our pets, including Schmoo. At first they seemed bewildered: Where is Daddy at night? They would stare out the windows after dark searching for him, mope about at night looking for him.

Soon they adapted, though (and better than their human guardians, I might add). Schmoo in particular could sense the moment DH's car turned into our street -- and he would jump up out of a sleep just then. At first, I thought he was hearing things, but then it became clear when I'd hear DH's car pull into the driveway about 15-20 seconds later that the Schmoo Man had some pretty sharp ears.

One thing that didn't change: bunking with Schmoo's respective parents at bedtime. We'd call out, as usual, "Time for seepy (sleepy) time!" and he'd come running.

That's when "the procedure" began. Far more than a cursory settling in, this involved a couple of slurping grooming moments, adjustments and readjustments of position, 99 interruptions while we'd read (DH and I are both voracious readers), and of course, the usual head-butts and demands for pets. It could take a good half hour -- but we couldn't deny him the pleasures of this routine.

Below I snuck a few photos in spring 2007 of a Schmoo and his Daddy. In photo #1, someone (the one with more hair, DH jokes) was getting his way in the "reading interruption/demands for pets" portion of the procedure. But in photo #2, the Man Cats had quit their respective routines and slumbered peacefully together. Note the possessive "kickstand" leg of the Schmoo up against his Dad.

You know we struggled for many years on this day/night existence, and then, it seemed a pain. Yet now I'm grateful because I got the chance to spy on these tender slices of time and capture the relationship between Schmoo and DH photographically for us to cherish:

Honored Contributor

Such special snuggie moments. I remember you talking about your DH working nights, coming home, eating, and off to slumberland. He had dinner when coming home, if I recall correctly. Very sweet moments of them frozen in time, by your photos, and memories in your hearts.