Honored Contributor

Re: That Schmoo, he is one tough kitty fighter

Sending lots of very special prayers to DH and also praying that the test results give only lots of good news.

Sending out more special prayers to all of the precious furbabies and animals who are in need.

God Bless all of the brave Veterans..including those who are no longer with us.

God Bless all of the brave Servicemen and Servicewomen who are currently deployed overseas and bring them back home safe and sound.

God Bless all of the brave Service Dogs.

-------------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Esteemed Contributor

Tuesday report: Thanks for your well-wishes and prayers for DH. He underwent 6 hours of cardiac testing today; we'll know the results in a day or two, and whether he'll need a heart catheterization or not. (We hope not, naturally).

It's not lost on us that DH is showing signs of what Schmoo himself went through; it's ironic on many levels. In down times between testing phases we thought about how brave Schmoo was -- he went through the whole cardiac shooting match. Of course you can say that he was unaware of the bigger picture -- but what do we know? He knew something was wrong with him: he couldn't breathe correctly, his heart raced and thudded in ways that scared him, he lost his appetite, he got exhausted from walking a few steps. On some level, I know that he knew.

Yet our furry ones have the gift of living only in the moment. They confront and leap over their hurdles as they find them, one at a time. We, unfortunate souls that we are with the ability to portend the greater picture of a situation, see all the potential obstacles.

Does not knowing the big picture make a being any less brave? We don't think so. Because even though he couldn't see the entire track, he still had to jump those hurdles in his way. Like all survivors who defy the odds, he decided to live: He jumped every single one, every single time.

As he was preparing to do in the photo below, taken 2 weeks before his diagnosis with biventricular heart failure. Exhausted from what we knew later was a heart problem, he still leaped up onto a desktop to slumber in a favorite bed. The leap alone should have killed him. But, hey, this is Schmoo we're talking about:

Regular Contributor

Good Morning Sammycat1 and Schmoo Fans:

Oh my goodness, Schmoo was such a beautiful, handsome guy....love that picture that you posted yesterday...it made me want to reach in and give him a big Hug and Schmooch!....It just touched my heart how contented and peaceful he looks, despite his health battles...most definitely due to the overwhelming love and care given to him...the best medicine ever!

I love the fact that you are writing a book about your journey with Schmoo...which will serve as a wonderful testimony to the unconditional love and dedication shared with these precious blessings in our lives...in his memory!

How old was Schmoo when he came into your lives and how old was he when he crossed over the Rainbow Bridge?...Do you have other pets?...I can't imagine your home without their presence!

I am so very sorry to read that your DH is now experiencing a health issue, and I'm sending a prayer and positive thoughts your way that all will be well!...I'm sure that Schmoo left behind a healing testimony of dignity and strength which will now help you and your DH during this time...a gift that will be of great comfort to you both...They teach us much during their time with us, as you so beautifully expressed in your post!

((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))))

Trusted Contributor

Sammy continued Prayers being lifted for your DH. I am so happy you had a wonderful time with Dear Kitty Sitter (Shopping is always a great day in my book! Smiley Happy )

Have a Blessed week Dear Friends ((Hugs to all))

Mom udpate. She had a CT scan yesterday after being finished with chemo about 6 weeks. Our sweet Oncology nurse saw we were in the office for testing and she gave my Mom a quick call yesterday to let her know that her lymph nodes and spleen had all gone down in size which is awesome. We will get the total report next week when we meet with the Oncologist for the full blow by blow report. We are praying to hear the words REMISSION, but we know that might be asking for more than a miracle when dealing with CLL.

Esteemed Contributor

Wednesday report: ShopTillYouDrop, thumbs up on those positive results for your dear mother--and our prayers continue that you'll hear good news about remission soon!

MeAndMyShadow, welcome to the "Clan of Schmoo," a group of friends who came when I called for help years ago over our cat Schmoo. In answer to your questions, we adopted Schmoo in 2006 when another cat, Sammy (sound familiar?) died. Our remaining cat Sophie and our collie Fergus were both devastated when Sammy died--especially Sophie.

Schmoo was already a senior then, age 10. He'd been found abandoned in a foreclosed house starving to death and trying to claw his way out via the drywall. He'd been abused, suffering blows to the head and hip areas, which we learned later on X-ray. When we stopped at the shelter, he was the oldest cat there, and the cat there the longest. He was a survivor--and we had to have him!

Two years later, he suffered from dental and jaw problems requiring 5 dental surgeries--he survived the last one, the most dangerous. By fall/winter 2010, he developed biventricular congestive heart failure, then high BP, anemia, hyperthyroidism, kidney failure...just about everything. He beat it all back for many years with the help of our extraordinary vet and our loving care.

Our vet had warned us: the reality was, he could die at the drop of a hat, and should have died within days of the heart failure. But he didn't...our survivor kept going with a pretty darn good quality of life that stumped everyone. Along the way, I'd come here to the forum, pouring out our anxieties at his setbacks and our joy at his triumphs...receiving an outpouring in return of prayers, encouragement and hearts open to our plight from so many posters.

Our lion boy had a stroke, suddenly, the morning of April 19, 2013, at almost 18. When it became clear he would not recover, we did what all pet owners must do: let him go with love.

I'll never forget his spirited fight--and the support we received from the posters on the forum from all over the country drawn to the journey of our beloved Schmoo...who after his passing continued to ask for photos and stories about our fighter kitty.

His long fight drained us, emotionally and physically. Still, we'd do it again in a heartbeat. Yet the reality is we're dealing with some health problems ourselves that must be remedied (as well as those of aging parents), so we've chosen not to adopt for now. Instead, I'm writing a book on his story and of the friendships forged here and what more should be done to help geriatric and sick pets...in the hopes that his story will help more cats and dogs in a similar situation.

We said to Schmoo as he died a phrase familiar to the Schmoo Family, a phrase we repeated to him so many challenging times in his illness: "We love you always and always, higher than the sky and higher."

And the truth is, we'll feel that way about the posters here, too. They helped us from the beginning (see the photo below, the Schmoo recovering from an eye infection early on) and they stuck with us the whole way. We've never met them, but whether they've posted here hundreds of times or several, I know we'd know them on sight:

Honored Contributor

Sending out more special prayers to DH and still praying that he only gets good news when the results come back.

Shop... That's so wonderful about your mom.

Sending out more special prayers to all of the precious furbabies and animals who are in need.

Wishing everyone a peaceful night.

-----------------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Trusted Contributor

Sammy cat hoping your DH's tests come back fine,saying prayers.The way you spoke about MrSchmoo and his battle with heart disease was so touching,he was such a fighter and really did it with dignity. I get so teary eyed looking at some of his pictures,,knowing how uncomfortable he had to be yet he fought everyday right up till the end. He is why I try not to complain about my health.

Shop glad to hear promising news on your Mom and praying that you will hear remission.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!
Honored Contributor

Sending prayers to your husband and you Sammycat. The latest Schmoo photo reflects a real trooper, basking in the love of a secure warm and fuzzy loving family.
Esteemed Contributor

Thursday report: The Kitty Sitter flew home yesterday, and although are hearts are heavy, we had a great visit. (Beastielove, she showed us all of her materials from the conference she attended featuring the visit she took to Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. You'd be in heaven.)

Although things are tough in many corners of the Pet Forum (Indy-Blonde2's Tiggi is struggling and the fight continues for Grandkidrsgreat's Shy-Annie and KittyMomNC's Baby Cat), things are looking up, too. MeAndMyShadow's Shadow is getting better and feeling more of her sassy self and Tissyanne's Sugarbear is holding steady.

We hope also that posters like Beauty Junkie who face health challenges are holding steady too -- and I thank you for your steadfast prayers for DH. We have no word yet on his tests.

Life is like a rollercoaster: although the steep climbs and steeper drops can be thrilling, it's necessary to have those gentle rolling times, too.

As with Schmoo's journey. The first year he had heart failure, we were on the most terrifying of rollercoasters filled with extremes. Capped by a tough early 2012, though, the peaks and valleys calmed -- and he had the greatest period of strong health .... as strong as it could be with his illnesses.

It began shortly before this photo was taken, when the Schmoo Man rested on his heated orthopedic bed with bolsters, a catnip bag tucked behind him and his rapier-like mind seeming deep in thought for a next conquest.

Which was a treat on the comforter lost in its busy pattern. And the Man Cat of the Mighty Pawsers found it, yessirree, he did:

Trusted Contributor

Sammy cat hoping you hear good news on your DH's tests and said a prayer today. So many in need of prayer right now and I am keeping al the ailing fur babies in my prayers. I am trying to be like MrSchmoo with my health and enjoy the better days and not let the bad ones get me down.When I have a really ba done I remember my feline friend and all he endured and I am ok.

I hope kitty sitter has a safe trip home,wish she could have stayed longer since you two are so close.

We do not remember days,we remember moments.
The Rainbow Bridge!!!