Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving unfair to Women

@chrystaltree wrote:

Gosh, OP made me laugh out loud.  Someone should tell the lady that it's 2015 and not 1915....lol.  I think my favorite part is the weird notion that only married women cook.....lol.  No point in offering any advice.  She thinks of herself as a second class citizen whose worth lies in cooking, cleaning and catering to her men folk......So, her family treats her that way.

Correct.

One can only be a doormat, if they allow themselves to be.

Don't want to be a dormat?

Easy.

Stand up for yourself, and put your foot down.

They don't like it?

Tough.

Then they go without, or they can do it for themselves.

Their choice.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Gosh, OP made me laugh out loud.  Someone should tell the lady that it's 2015 and not 1915....lol.  I think my favorite part is the weird notion that only married women cook.....lol.  No point in offering any advice.  She thinks of herself as a second class citizen whose worth lies in cooking, cleaning and catering to her men folk......So, her family treats her that way.

IMO , I think the people who are married for a long time, think this way. (not all)

I am so glad that my generation thinks differently. (not all)

just making generalizations***

Honored Contributor

It bothers me that some women think IF the rest of us don't have old fashioned subservient marriages, we don't have a loving marriage.  I think they tell themselves that in order to tolerate being in second class status, even though they tell us that's the way they want it.

Marriage should always be a partnership.  Work out the details about who does what.  My husband is brilliant mathematically but he can't keep a checkbook straight, I do that.  Those are the kinds of things you work out.

No one should lecture others on what a couple "who really love each other" should do.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

thanksgiving is just that.  giving thanks by everyone!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@TaxyLady wrote:

My husband provides the humor.   He just asked what time are we eating.  I said "I don't know exactly"  (we usually have the dinner in the early afternoon)  He said " you should get up earlier."  ha ha ha ha

I come from a family where the men were farmers.  They worked hard everyday.  So I guess I learned to wait on them from my Mom, Grandmother and Aunts.  If I had a choice I would probably like to be in the 1950's.  It was a better world then. 

Not for everybody.

Not for a lot of people.

Amen to this. The only things I want to bring back from the 50s are the '57 Chevy Bel Air and the atomic and Googie design aesthetics. Everything else should stay in the past.

Respected Contributor

i don't think this true.  it is always a womans choice whether she wants to put on a meal or not.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@TaxyLady wrote:

My husband provides the humor.   He just asked what time are we eating.  I said "I don't know exactly"  (we usually have the dinner in the early afternoon)  He said " you should get up earlier."  ha ha ha ha

I come from a family where the men were farmers.  They worked hard everyday.  So I guess I learned to wait on them from my Mom, Grandmother and Aunts.  If I had a choice I would probably like to be in the 1950's.  It was a better world then. 

Not for everybody.

Not for a lot of people.

Amen to this. The only things I want to bring back from the 50's are the 57 Chevy Bel Air and the atomic and Googie design aesthetics. Everything else should stay in the past.

Just yesterday, I read article about the delusional middle class that believes the 50s were a better time, and how that misbelief hurts them today.  ITA.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

This is such a '50 's cliche' If you don't want to cook-DON"T!  And remember TG is not about food or football or black Thursday or Friday shopping.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@TaxyLady wrote:

Not for everybody.

Not for a lot of people.

Amen to this. The only things I want to bring back from the 50's are the 57 Chevy Bel Air and the atomic and Googie design aesthetics. Everything else should stay in the past.

My mother tried to turn me into a 50s woman but i revolted when i figured out the division of labor was uneven and led to "attitude".  

Respected Contributor

It seems as the OP is stuck in the 1950's yet complains about those things that were prominent then. You allow your husband to treat you that way. To complain about it is too late.

The LOLing or Ha haing at the jokes that are really very passive aggressive jabs to each other. 

OP you say the 50's were a better time. How is it working for you?