Valued Contributor

Thanksgiving unfair to Women

I think Thanksgiving is unfair to many married women.   It takes several hours to prepare everything while the men are relaxing and talking.  Then you finally get the bird in the oven and you must clean up.  Then you spend most of your time cooking and preparing the rest of the meal while the men are watching football.  Then you have to make sure everything comes out at the same time.  Then the men are interrupted from relaxing, talking and cheering their football team to be called to the table to eat.  Then after they eat you spend an hour or so cleaning up everything. 

I like football.  I wish I could relax, talk and cheer my favorite team.  Let the men cook the meal.  But, then again, if my husband cooked it you would not want to eat it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Thanksgiving unfair to Women

Some women enjoy the cooking and everything.

Some men actually do help out with the pre, cooking and cleaning.

Honored Contributor

LOL... I think you just offered why women do all the cooking!  However, cleaning up should be done by all who ate and the women given the oppportunity to go and watch TV for awhile..... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Kinda depends.  Lots of guys like to cook and be in the kitchen.  Not all but a good number.  Mine will help and he does the clean up.  Maybe putting a small television in the kitchen will help.  Mine will also set the table if I ask.  He knows how as I've instructed him through the years.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

@TaxyLady wrote:

I think Thanksgiving is unfair to many married women.   It takes several hours to prepare everything while the men are relaxing and talking.  Then you finally get the bird in the oven and you must clean up.  Then you spend most of your time cooking and preparing the rest of the meal while the men are watching football.  Then you have to make sure everything comes out at the same time.  Then the men are interrupted from relaxing, talking and cheering their football team to be called to the table to eat.  Then after they eat you spend an hour or so cleaning up everything. 

I like football.  I wish I could relax, talk and cheer my favorite team.  Let the men cook the meal.  But, then again, if my husband cooked it you would not want to eat it. 

Not always true.  My brother who is a doctor is not only good in medicine, but he's a great cook.  He's preparing the entire meal for us tonight.  His wife doesn't cook at all.  He does all the cooking in the house along with keeping up a busy schedule. Bless his heart. 

Honored Contributor

I guess it all depends on who your family is. My husband would never, ever, ever sit in the living room while I was in the kitchen doing all the work. He does at least as much as I do, if not more. 

We're going out for lunch today, but when we entertain it's 50/50 for us. I am not June Cleaver. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@TaxyLady wrote:

I would just order it, or go out. Why suffer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's not 1950. If you don't want to cook, don't. If you want them to help clean up, then ask them to. 

I married an adult man that knew how to take care of himself before I married him. He used to host Thanksgiving for his roomates. He also knows how to clean. He smokes the turkey outside on the grill, I do everything else, because I want to and enjoy it. I had to get him to let me take over the stuff I like. He even used to make the pumpkin pies every year.  He also always helps clean up, and he does his own laundry. 

Oh and I do stay home and have the whole time we've been married. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

It's unfair if that's the arrangement in your family. My family often went to my aunt and uncle's house for Thanksgiving and my uncle did most of the cooking. My mom did most of the cooking at our house. My friends and I always go out for Thanksgiving and no one stays home and cooks all day. Before that, we bought a Thanksgiving meal from a catering place and just heated everything to eat.

If you don't want to stay in the kitchen and cook all day, there are plenty of ways to make that happen.

Honored Contributor

@JAXS Mom wrote:

It's not 1950. If you don't want to cook, don't. If you want them to help clean up, then ask them to. 

I married an adult man that knew how to take care of himself before I married him. He used to host Thanksgiving for his roomates. He also knows how to clean. He smokes the turkey outside on the grill, I do everything else, because I want to and enjoy it. I had to get him to let me take over the stuff I like. He even used to make the pumpkin pies every year.  He also always helps clean up, and he does his own laundry. 

@jaxs mom wow, now that is what I call a keeper . . . any chance he has a single brother? . . . have a wonderful Thanksgiving Jaxs Mom!  Smiley Happy