Respected Contributor

I notice that the twins on RHONJ put an "er" on words that end with an "a". So does Juicy. Is this a regional thing?

Years ago my boss from NYC kept putting the "er" after my name which ends with an "a". I asked him about him in a joking manner and he said he didn't even realize it. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

I don't here it what words? I am from NJ although the Twins are from Queens.

Super Contributor

Yes it's regional, there's a few little quirks in north eastern US just like there are in the south.

Regular Contributor

LOL. So funny. My husband always added "er" to words ending in "a", and added an "a" to words ending in "o". Like potata, tomata etc.

Respected Contributor

n/m

Super Contributor

Just about everyone has a regional accent all through the US whether they want to admit it or not.

The Jersey/NY accent you hear on RHONJ is not as common a it used to be and I notice it is more pronounced among lower class people.

Some don't pronounce the ""er"" when it's supposed to be used as in WATER= They will say WATAH.

Respected Contributor

I have an ear for regional accents. When I would go to conferences and tease my friends who had slight variances in pronounciation they were astounded that they had this little habit. Like making 2 syllable words out of one syllable words. I think if you listen for it all or almost all states have a little something something going on with their pronounciation.

ETA: It's not just regional, it can vary from state to state in the same region.

Esteemed Contributor

I figured it was a regional thing as I've heard it on other shows that were based in the east (NY & NJ) too.

I think all areas of the country have their quirks. Here in Indiana, lots of people say warsh for wash or refer to George Warshington. I broke myself of that habit years ago and now it's a nails on chalkboard moment when I hear it. I've even heard it on the radio and TV!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

""Ya gotta kawtta?"" Figure that one out.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor
On 10/27/2014 Ford1224 said:

""Ya gotta kawtta?"" Figure that one out.

Pretty sure that translates to ""you gotta quarter?""