Trusted Contributor

Re: Tattoo Inks and Cancer Link

I know personally, that they use ink to mark boundaries for radiation patients.  So I hope that INK is safe, I'm quite sure it is - fingers crossed!!

Honored Contributor

I'm getting my first tattoo as soon as the artist comes back from vacation.  I guess I'll find out in a few years.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

I am pretty sure that the type of dyes used in medical testing, are completely different than the ones used for tattoos. Also, those are flushed from your body fairly quickly. The dye from a skin tattoo is there permanently.

The ink used in a reputable tattoo salon (note the key word being "reputable") are medical-grade inks; so are the needles. 

One must check those things out before getting ink. Don't ever assume.

Honored Contributor

I'm only guessing that it depends on the types of dyes/ink/whatever that they are using.  Possibly? lead-based? or whatever-based?  I don't know a thing about inks and how they are made.  Would be a good thing to research, imo.  Also, check out some of the international research studies and info over there.  They seem to be 'ahead' of us re: several matters. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

I'm getting my first tattoo as soon as the artist comes back from vacation.  I guess I'll find out in a few years.

Yay Birdie..I'll be getting my third as soon as its finished being designed...and I'm old...just turned 65 lol...Celebrating 65 and honoring my mom..this is her 10th anniversary of passing and also this month is
DH and my 45th anniversary....DW

Honored Contributor

p.s.  A good question is from where (country) the inks are being formulated, and try to find the safest and highly regulated ones.  Just another thought.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm 63 and my first tattoo was in 1976. My last one was a month ago, after my brother passed away unexpectedly.

In between 1976 and a month ago, I added 7 more, although you'd never see them unless I want you to. The exception being my last one, which is my brother's name on my wrist.

My tattoos are for me, not for 'show'.

40 years since my first and no cancer problems so far. Fingers still crossed.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Certain food coloring dyes are banned in Europe but not in the U.S. .... most dyes are petroleum-based and therefore carcinogenic.   Tattoo ink appears to be extra saturated .... I would rethink before getting 'inked.'

Respected Contributor

I only have radiation tattoo 'dots'.

Respected Contributor

My mom had those for her radiation. I guess if you have cancer already...
Never underestimate the power of kindness.