Valued Contributor

Tattoo Inks and Cancer Link

[ Edited ]

I've been reading in the news lately about the supposed link between certain inks (colors, place of manufacture) and possible cancers. (Not just skin cancer either, but systemic cancers cause by the carcinogens in the inks migrating to the bodily organs.) It's a big concern in Europe, and may also eventually become an issue here.  I have never been a fan of tattoos,--just a personal preference based on my age and past experience. I see so many younger girls getting huge tattoos on their arms and legs, and think that they will surely regret them someday. Now I am worried about nieces and nephews who are constantly getting a "new Tatt".  Have any of you also heard about this new research?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tattoo Inks and Cancer Link

Hadn't heard this, but I guess it doesn't surprise me.

I don't see the fascination with tattoos either, and I guess I believe what my dad (who was very ill my whole childhood) used to say. He would say that he was getting stuck with enough needles from testing and treatments before the end of his life, he wasn't going to do it for tattoos. 

Super Contributor

Haven't heard of this either, but not too surprising. I too, am not a fan of tatoos, especially the ones that are all over the arms, etc. Just don't find them attractive what so ever. That,and piercings. One or 2 in the ear is fine, but nose, tongue, lip, etc. ....just don't get it.

Honored Contributor

I have not heard about it and I think it is bs.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never heard anyone else mention it, but the thought has crossed my mind...especially when they are large tats and are ON (no near) the breast! With the chances of getting breast cancer rising why would anyone want to even go there?

my biggest concern (I briefly considered a tiny tat, hidden to others in honor of my parents, who died younger than they should have) is having an allergic reaction and not being able to get the ink out of my body!

if young people want to do it as expression, I suggest going with non permanent types...there are awesome ones out there! The up side is like Diamonique, you can change them as often as you like!😉

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I don't get the fascination with doing anything that permanently changes the way ne looks! Buyer's remorse is a long, and painful thing!
Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm fairly neutral about tattoos, definitely non-judgmental about them.   I do wonder why there's so little scrutiny of a colored liquid injected into one's skin.   I just scanned a variety of articles, searching for "tattoo ink cancer" and a number of countries are becoming concerned about "allergies caused by the substances in the inks and possible carcinogenic, mutagenic or reproductive toxic effects."   These aren't results anyone wants to take lightly, in my opinion.    This seems to be in regards to newer inks and the fact that the products are not regulated.   Seems to be a valid concern, based on what I read.   

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

When I've seen tattoos on the inside of the wrist and other sensitive areas, I've always wondered about the ink getting into your bloodstream.  

Super Contributor

I have so many allergies I decided not to get a tattoo - I had a dear friend that was a tatt artist, unfortunately he was murdered  (happened years ago) sometimes I wish a had a little tatt, but with all the allergies I have - I think it was a wise decision for me.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/study-suggests-some-tattoo-inks-could-be-toxic-122727548.html

Honored Contributor

Haven't heard this lately, but years ago we had a family friend who was an MD.  On a few different occasions he said he thought tattoos could create serious problems in the body, including cancer as a possibilty.    

I was young and never discussed it further, but I always remembered his concern.