Valued Contributor

Re: TSV today on HSN - coloring books

I can see how this would be a very relaxing and comforting activity, especially before bedtime, for those of us who have trouble winding down.  Relieved Face

Honored Contributor

Never have I been so desperate for entertainment that I'd resort to coloring in a coloring book.  I might draw and color my own creation but not somebody else's.  It's the height of lack of creativity.  Don't tell me choosing colors makes it creative because it doesn't.  This is just a fad that hopefully will soon pass.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Never have I been so desperate for entertainment that I'd resort to coloring in a coloring book.  I might draw and color my own creation but not somebody else's.  It's the height of lack of creativity.  Don't tell me choosing colors makes it creative because it doesn't.  This is just a fad that hopefully will soon pass.

Someone is getting rich off this fad. If adults enjoy doing it, why not.

They have had intricate design coloring books for a long time. Nothing new, but marketed different. (stained glass  look designs)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

some benefits to coloring and how it is trending in the world.....

The practice generates wellness, quietness and also stimulates brain areas related to motor skills, the senses and creativity.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/13/coloring-for-stress_n_5975832.html

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Again?  Well, I have 3 just lying on the desk if you want them.

Trusted Contributor

I bought myself,Mom,daughters and grand daughters each coloring books.

My grandson who is an Art Major got a good laugh when I gave him a page I did for his fridge. After all we spent many hours when he was small working on all sorts of art projects about time he has to show off my work  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

One of my daughters bought a set off Amazon recently.  She loves them.  Not really my bag but I don't see the harm if someone enjoys them, not a big deal IMO.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Neither desperate for entertainment, nor uncreative.  I have been coloring for years as have many other adults who know it's relaxing & good for the soul.  A fad that will pass?  I don't know, but I do know that I will continue as will others.

Honored Contributor

Adult coloring book picture reminds me a lot of the Spirograph I had as a kid. You could always buy one of those & make your pics to color.