Esteemed Contributor

MY opinion... Amazon has to be in control of the reviews.  While many have good intentions the item must be purchased on Amazon.  There are those who would rate items including books in negative fashion and create an unfair evaluation causing others not to buy.  Or there are those who would rate the products in a positive way and if not true the customer would be deceived. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TICKED OFF AT AMAZON

[ Edited ]

Not the same issue but I am also Ticked off at Amazon.  Within the last week I have made multiple purchases.  Big bags or boxes have arrived at my doorstep. Twice the orders ARE MISSING ITEMS. Good thing I check carefully but I am wondering who is monitoring the packing area.  

I will add Amazon has made the missing items good, either by credit or reorder immediately.  

Esteemed Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Good luck with Amazon reviews.  For some reason I keep getting locked out of reviews although I've never left a negative review.  I have contacted them in the past and had it straightened out and it ends up back the same way.  Believe me, I buy more than $50  weekly!.  I have given up.  Sorry for those who I would like to give a good review but until they make it easier to contact them I just won't review.

@kitty60 They have some rules about reviews, I don't know exactly what they are.  Once I mentioned a vendor in my review because the vendor shorted me and I believe sent me a counterfeit item. (The price was really good!  Should have caused me to pause.)  I had purchased the product from other vendors without problem, at a higher price from the same listing, so I mentioned the vendor so that people would know the problem was not the product.  Amazon emailed me telling me they don't allow vendors to be mentioned in reviews, so they wouldn't publish my review.  I revised it and resubmitted it, but I don't think they published it.  I think Amazon has published all my other ones.  I don't review enough, I think the reviews are helpful.  The vendor finally agreed to reimburse me my money when I told them I would complain to my credit card company.  It was a bunch of beverage bottles and it would have been expensive to ship back.  I had some at home that I had purchased at the supermarket, and the color and taste of the product was different, the packaging was different and I was shorted the quantity.  Amazon wanted me to work it out with the seller.  I am now more cautious about third party sellers that ship directly.  If Amazon ships, Amazon has always stood by the product.  I have continued to purchase from third party sellers that ship directly.  I am just more discerning.

Honored Contributor

Amazon has to be careful as there are people who will buy reviews.

That said, they do some weird stuff. I'd fallen behind in posting reviews on stuff I'd bought, and they were nagging me to post reviews, so I sat down one morning and did so. I reviewed maybe twenty recent purchases. They banned me from reviewing afterward as they felt I might be a spammer of some sort due to the number of reviews I'd posted in a short time. I pointed out that they'd been nagging me to do them, but it didn't matter. Their algorithm said I was a spammer, and I was banned from posting reviews. The good news is they no longer nag me to post reviews of things I bought. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: TICKED OFF AT AMAZON

[ Edited ]

@zitawins wrote:

I am so angry and disappointed with Amazon, and I don't know where to complain.

I'm a writer with several books on Amazon. A friend's daughter read two of mine and wanted to leave a review, but their policy is you can't leave reviews unless you've bought a minimum of $50 from Amazon in the past year.

Frankly, that stinks (pardon my French).  They're hot to get authors to publish on their site, but we depend on reviews and this policy is not author-friendly.

Gee @zitawins 

I don't buy hardly anything from Amz.

Just placed one order and received a link to review and it was posted.

I have not spent more than $30 with Amz in a year.

Since I am not a fan of Amazon, I don't know what their policies are.

Mine was a food item....maybe the rules are different.

Trusted Contributor

I was told that they are stepping up to keep the reviews honest, meaning that friends and family are not able to post reviews unless a purchase is verified. Good plan it if works, sounds similar to what QVC is doing. 

I have purchased things that were obviously counterfeit, particularly cologne and I have posted a review. I think inability to name a seller is just wrong-how else can the guilty be punished? 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

Funny, you don't write like a writer.

And there was no one left to speak out for me....
Respected Contributor

I've had only occasional requests for a review from retailers I've purchased from, including Amazon. I've never been nagged by Amazon or any of the other retailers.

I write novels and publish them on Amazon's Kindle site. I've never asked friends or family to leave a review for me. I want objective reviews so that I can improve where necessary or so that I can be glad that someone liked what I wrote.

Respected Contributor

I love to read, if your comfortable posting what you wrote ont he book forum there are some that would like to read I'm sure, I spend well over 50 at Amazon also!

Esteemed Contributor
@Group 5 minus 1 wrote:

Funny, you don't write like a writer.

@Group 5 minus 1 

Since you didn't bother to use a notification I can only assume you're addressing the OP but I'm wondering...how did you come to this opinion?