Valued Contributor

I am so angry and disappointed with Amazon, and I don't know where to complain.

I'm a writer with several books on Amazon. A friend's daughter read two of mine and wanted to leave a review, but their policy is you can't leave reviews unless you've bought a minimum of $50 from Amazon in the past year.

Frankly, that stinks (pardon my French).  They're hot to get authors to publish on their site, but we depend on reviews and this policy is not author-friendly.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC not nice/unkind

Respected Contributor

@zitawins   Although it might be incredibly upsetting and frustrating for the author, Amazon most likely wants actual customers reviewing the book instead of random people coming on with loads of bad or good reviews to promote or bash the book.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

@zitawins   Although it might be incredibly upsetting and frustrating for the author, Amazon most likely wants actual customers reviewing the book instead of random people coming on with loads of bad or good reviews to promote or bash the book.

That is absolutely the reason. I know someone who has a few books on Amazon and they had told me that a long time ago. They need to be very careful about fake reviews.
Honored Contributor

All you can do is complain to Amazon.  

Valued Contributor

Good luck with Amazon reviews.  For some reason I keep getting locked out of reviews although I've never left a negative review.  I have contacted them in the past and had it straightened out and it ends up back the same way.  Believe me, I buy more than $50  weekly!.  I have given up.  Sorry for those who I would like to give a good review but until they make it easier to contact them I just won't review.

Trusted Contributor

📚  I was an eighth grade student at a Catholic School. Before graduation, we were required to submit an autobiography. Mine was titled The Second Greatest Story Ever Told, and I'm proud to share with you that I received an A+.

Is there a chance that Amazon might be interested in a contract?

Honored Contributor

NO.

Trusted Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

I am so angry and disappointed with Amazon, and I don't know where to complain.

I'm a writer with several books on Amazon. A friend's daughter read two of mine and wanted to leave a review, but their policy is you can't leave reviews unless you've bought a minimum of $50 from Amazon in the past year.

Frankly, that stinks (pardon my French).  They're hot to get authors to publish on their site, but we depend on reviews and this policy is not author-friendly.

I'm really sorry about this.

I haven't figured out how to change our account there with Prime where you can share your household so that you can do that. I usually don't buy under my own account but share my husband's account, which you can do.

Respected Contributor

I have a cousin who published a book about 15 years ago and a former colleague who also wrote one. They both asked me to read them and post a review on Amazon. They were not published on Amazon. I posted both reviews and never saw anything about who could and couln't post a review. Maybe they have changed their guidelines since then.