Respected Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'CHARCUTERIE- BECAUSE A GENERATION RAISED ON LUNCHABLES IS TRYING TO BE COOL.'

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Yes, it seems that what used to be known as the deli is now called the charcuterie.  What's the difference?  I don't know.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr   For decades, we referred to them as deli trays.

I am not sure when exactly it happened but, suddenly, we were hearing "charcuterie."

How did that word pick up speed so fast and why?

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha   Wegmans' deli section is now called the Charcuterie.  Is that correct usage of the word?

Starbucks started this kind of thing with their tall, grande, and venti.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

i LOVE a good charcuterie board with lots of choices......along with a nice cocktail.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr : I can pronounce the word deli but that other word.....just......can't.🤔🤔🤔🤔😀😀😀😀

Trusted Contributor

Let me see if I can answer this so far for everyone who already has posted..Smiley Happy

Charcuterie is a French word that refers to meat/sausage or butcher. (I remember this way back from French class in high school). Smiley Wink

A charcuterie board is mainly supposed to be a selection of different meats, with maybe something else on the board that would accompany them and compliment them.

I think that it may be more of a European trend.

It's not supposed to be the same thing as a Deli tray that we would normally think of, which would include meats, cheeses, etc.

However, I've seen some different types of charcuterie boards in the supermarkets where "anything goes."

Some of them are really nice and elaborate and include all different kinds of foods on them--you name it, it's on there.

I've also heard of chocolate boards, butter boards, cheese boards, etc.

Trusted Contributor

I remember specifically David Rosengarten from the 90's Food Channel saying that a charcuterie presentation was just meats with some mustards. It was the first time I ever heard the word. I was intrigued.

Nowadays, there seems to be charcuterie for all types of foods. Funny how words change meanings.Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee  shar-koot- er- ee Ha!Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sure... Charcuterie

[ Edited ]

😁😁😁  I'm guessing that "Charcuterie" is somewhere between $50-100 more, depending upon where you shop, or where you order. Add an additional $25 if someone else is preparing/arranging the board.

In Little Italy, we simply refer to it as the "Italian Deli Tray." And, we do the arranging artistically with our own sweet little Italian hands. We prefer to serve it with freshly baked classic Italian sandwich rolls.