Honored Contributor

Suggestions for digital camera under $150.

I have never purchased a digital camera. The disposable camera that I normally purchase have been discontinued . I need something small but easy to operate. Should I consider a bundle package or purchase camera and individual accesories ?TIA. Southern Bee

Contributor

Re: Suggestions for digital camera under $150.

may i suggest the canon power-shot, very small, easy to use & lightweight.  i have a powershot model from 5 yrs ago, works great and takes great pictures.  I also have a more expensive complex canon model, but it much larger in size.  I take half my photos on powershot, rest on the other model  don't know the current pricing of the powershot series, but i'm fairly sure max price is $150.  i've seen them at best buy, target, and amazon, not sure if q offers the option.  good luck!

Honored Contributor

If you have a high-megapixel smart phone, you really don't need a camera like that.  I've been a photog in my job before, and had $2,000 Nikon bodys, and an array of lense and flashes and such.  But for most photos now, a high megapixel smart phone is great.  We don't even carry a camera on vacation now. 

Honored Contributor

Whether one is satisfied with a very good (iphone, Galaxy 7) camera phone or even a mediocre one depends on what you want to take photos of.

If you want no zoom capability and just outdoor sunny shots for the internet with no adjustability (like the disposable cameras), you can find Vivitar cameras for $20-50 lots of places, in b&m stores and online. 

Spending a bit more money (depending on what you want) will get you more. Canon ELPH cameras are good basic digital cameras with 8 to 10X zoom for the less expensive models, and very compact, running $100-150 or less. Nikon also makes a few models in that price range that would be similar, as does Fuji. Panasonic is probably out of that price range.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For your first digital cam, get the bundled package.   As for ease of use, its best to FIRST read the manual from front to back.  Practice using each & every one of the bells & whistles your cam has.

I purchsed my 1st (to date my last) digital cam 5 yrs ago.  I did not want one that I needed a Ph.D to figure out how to use it.  I got a Kodak which is the size of a cc.  Came bundled w/extras.  After reading the reviews on the cam especially for ease of use, I purchased the cam from MacMall dot com.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought about 6 years ago a Olympus point & shoot TSV from Q.

its still the camera I use today (although I have a IPhone 6S) I just love this little camera and still takes great pics. I think it was $129 maybe -- it came with rechargeable batteries (still working), case, strap, upload disc for transferring pics to computer & memory card (needed to store pics from camera).

best  thing so easy to use no learning curve and small (slim & fits palm of hand) - just point & shoot! I'm sure they have something comparable in the digital camera offerings on Q.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1

@Mz iMac

@Moonchilde

@Sooner

@SteelerFaninMD

I have the basic Jitterbug cell phone no photos. I appreciate all the help and suggestions. I found the Nikon Coolpix S2900 20 MP point and soot and reading the reviews.The Cannon camera was available in the international version and read the reviews and decided not to order. I have another friend that needs a digital camera.She was looking at the Vivitar and I explained the reviews were bad. Your suggestions for her would be appreciated. I prefer help from friends experiences rather that just : Google.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee, cameras are like phones and laptops - everyone will have a brand they prefer and a bad experience with something else ;-)

I have had Casio, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Fuji and Canon point & shoot cameras. I hated the Sony which was supposed to be fabulous, wasn't impressed with the Nikon or the Olympus (they were okay but just okay), and liked the Fujis a lot (I had two) but the telephoto lens malfunctioned on the last one so I didn't buy another.

My last three cameras have been Canon Powershots (the long telephoto models) and I'm very happy with them. Oddly, the Casio, which was my first ever p&s, was not expensive and critics poo-pooed their cameras, but it took some of the best photos ever and I liked it better than all the others except the Fujis and the Canons. It's just personal preferences and personal taste for a lot of it.

When I'm investigating a camera, before I read any user reviews I read the professional reviews from big online camera stores and camera review sites. THEN I will read a few user reviews.

Honored Contributor

We had a Sony when they first came out with them and it was junk.   My favorites were the Nikons but we had several brands before the cell phones had more megapixels and we quit using them

I was a long-time user of Nikon 35 mm then digital pro cameras and lenses.  They are BIG to tote around though! 

Honored Contributor

I should say that I use my iPhone for photos a LOT, but when you want to take good photos in low light (museums, etc) without flash or if you want any zoom at all, you need an actual camera.

And seriously, learn to use simple photo editing tools - they can make lousy or mediocre shots very acceptable for sharing online, and some are very simple one-click to use.