Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

[ Edited ]

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

I always catch grammatical errors and typos and they annoy me but I never say anything about it so does that still make me a jerk?  lol

What do you think?

Hi Deb:  I notice errors and spelling and all that.  I can imagine how my posts are now  since I have 2 numb fingers and an old keyboard.  Last time I asked to be excused for those I was told I was back-pedalling.  Go figure.  LOL

Sometimes when an error is pointed out it's a last gasp when one is losing a "debate" or sometimes a person just swoops in because the error is made by someone not liked.

It all depends on who makes the eroor and who points it out.

Same ol' same ol'.Heart

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

HA!

I do notice typos.  I don't point them out unless I am specifically copy editing something.  or purposefully being a jerk Smiley LOL

I think it totally depends on what we are talking about.  If it is a quick email from one coworker to another, I could care less.  But if there are typos on a big company-wide memo, or something submitted for publication, or presentation slides or something, then yes I definitely notice and it makes me question the attention to detail/professionalism of the person who wrote it....  

Valued Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Well, that's the way I feel when I see the ones I make. Smiley Happy

@Preds

... and when you see a lot of "edits" to my posts, that's essentially  the reason ... I just can't "leave it be."

I do the SAME thing!  I think most of my posts are edited because if I see one typo I must fix it!!!

Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't point them out, but I do think less of a person's message if the person can't be bothered to spell out entire words like 'you'.

I forgive what appears to be an actual typo, but if there's a pattern of issues, it absolutely has an impact on me.

If you can't communicate well in writing in a world where more and more communication happens in writing, that's a problem that should be addressed, not written off as something only a jerk would care about. People are going to email managers and post replies on company forums where everyone in the company can read them. Poor writing skills impact a person's ability to communicate, gain credibility, and succeed.

THIS.

Honored Contributor

@Tantallum wrote:

@SoX wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Well, that's the way I feel when I see the ones I make. Smiley Happy

@Preds

... and when you see a lot of "edits" to my posts, that's essentially  the reason ... I just can't "leave it be."

I do the SAME thing!  I think most of my posts are edited because if I see one typo I must fix it!!!

I do the same thing.  But then again, I am typing with a broken and bent finger, often times with a splint Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

1. I try not to pick on others for anything.Maybe someday when I am perfect ...I just enjoy the banter and appreciate the contributions,even those I don't agree with .
Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

Totally ridiculous study. Shows the dumbing down of our society.

@RetRN

What does being publicly rude to a poster who misspelled or mistyped have to do with dumbing down?

It doesn't.

Good point, Noel.

The over-use of a silly phrase like "the dumbing down of society" tells me a lot about the person who wrote it.  

Sadly, it seems the dumb part is locking on to pundit-created phrases and applying them to every facet of life relevant or not.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

Writers and editors will always pick out typos and grammatical errors.  It's a matter of training and habit rather than personality.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pointing out spelling errors makes you a jerk? 

Are you someone who always wants to win your point in a discussion?

Do you always feel the need to be right and want others  to agree with you?

Do you find yourself starting your posts with "You're wrong!" or "you don't know what you're talking about!"

Do you get pleasure out of telling others that they are illogical, uniformed,  not intelligent,  not enlightened? Not well read? Maybe you fit the definition of a jerk more so than the one who points out spelling errors?

Correcting someone's spelling is pretty mild compared to what some others do on here to demean others. Can you identify with any of the following - if so maybe you're a jerk!? Woman Tongue

_____ An insatiable need to be right which masks a fear of being wrong
_____ A high need to expect others to see it your way
_____ An inability to say, "I don't know." and "I was wrong."
_____ Feeling threatened when new ideas come from other people
_____ Fear of hearing new information that threatens your beliefs
_____ Fear of letting go; need to be in control of self at all times
_____ Preoccupation with winning approval from others
_____ The need to always be seen as intelligent, powerful and strong
_____ Pride at always being rational and logical
_____ Believe that others who disagree with you are wrong 
_____ Use anger and blame to settle arguments

Respected Contributor

@Tantallum wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't point them out, but I do think less of a person's message if the person can't be bothered to spell out entire words like 'you'.

I forgive what appears to be an actual typo, but if there's a pattern of issues, it absolutely has an impact on me.

If you can't communicate well in writing in a world where more and more communication happens in writing, that's a problem that should be addressed, not written off as something only a jerk would care about. People are going to email managers and post replies on company forums where everyone in the company can read them. Poor writing skills impact a person's ability to communicate, gain credibility, and succeed.

THIS.

I agree with the above, too.  Typos are one thing and can be forgiven. But I'm dismayed by the increasing number of people who don't know the difference between a plural and possessive and who are confused by homophones (there vs their vs they're, for example). There are other things, too, but those two make the point. Knowledge of basic grammar is nearly extinct.  It's very sad and demonstrates the failure of schools and education, IMO.  I see errors all the time, not just in forums such as this, but in professional news stories, as well. Credibility of such journalists is greatly reduced.