Respected Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

i notice typos and misspellings . apostrophe usage . they just stick out to me but i would never correct anyone .  just glad we don't do algebra or calculus on these boards !   i would be drummed out of here 

Respected Contributor

I agree with Ashleigh.  I dislike correcting people.  Sometimes, people take it wrong.  Unless I'm asked, if I see errors, I just let it go.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I usually notice grammatical errors but never point them out to the person.  I am sure I have made errors as well.  I do, however, know the difference between your and you're and there, their.  Drives me nuts.

My pet peeve is when an apostrophe is inserted where it is not applicable, e.g., as in plurals of words.  It puts my teeth on edge, but I no longer say anything (I did years ago).  Plus it seems to be a new thing, I see it everywhere, not just here.

Example:  My neighbor has too many cat's and dog's.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Maybe those who did the study are the jerks?

After decades in a classroom where my job was to spot errors, I rarely have to work to see typos -  pointing them out is different.  I think pointing out obvious typos just to find something negative to comment on falls into jerkdom  (a word I suspect does not exist!).

Exactly how I feel.  I catch errors all the time.  I rarely if ever point them out.  I don't point them out on this board.  I would say that 99.9% of the time, when someone points out a typo on this board, they are doing it to get a dig in and/or feel superior. 

Most of the time, even with the typo, we all know what the poster was getting at so why point out the error?  There have been a few times when I've honestly not been able to understand what someone is posting due to errors and I just move on. 

My favorite is when someone points out the error in someone elses' posts and their own is riddled with errors.  Woman LOL      

There are typos (no biggie) and there are spelling and grammatical errors. The only time I'm ever tempted, and rarely, do - point out such an error is with a smug poster who declaims to all and sundry that they have the facts, their opinion is the correct one, etc. in a supercilious manner to the Lesser Beings - while their post contains a large grammatical error or errors or the misspelling(s) of a word or words most people know how to spell. Set yourself up as perfect (in writing), and IMO you'd better be (in writing).

Absolutely. There was a poster who tagged me twice in one day for typos.  It was obvious to anyone what I was saying but she couldn't help herself.  She was on a real mission for awhile to point out everyones' errors. 

Funny thing is, her posts were always and are still always riddled with errors.  I could have been petty and pointed them out but I let it go.  Now I notice she finally quit doing that. 

There are people who love to do nothing but point out the errors of others because they are a PITA.  Woman LOL   

Respected Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

I usually notice grammatical errors but never point them out to the person.  I am sure I have made errors as well.  I do, however, know the difference between your and you're and there, their.  Drives me nuts.

My pet peeve is when an apostrophe is inserted where it is not applicable, e.g., as in plurals of words.  It puts my teeth on edge, but I no longer say anything (I did years ago).  Plus it seems to be a new thing, I see it everywhere, not just here.

Example:  My neighbor has too many cat's and dog's.

This is a big one for me too.  Makes me crazy.

You would think that after all the posts on this subject, people here would take notice.  I honestly think they don't even realize what they are doing or missed that day in class when plurals and possessives were taught!   Woman LOL

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think it's bad, actually it may be good, when people notice errors in writing. It means they paid attention in English class! I also think (as others have said) that unless you're a teacher, or someone asks, pointing it out is a jerky move.

Other than that I really don't have much of an opinion about the study, but it did make me ask myself this question. Would I rather spend time with a well-educated jerk, or with a less educated person who is kind? So the study did make me think, and that's not a bad thing. The optimum choice might be a well-educated person who is kind but that wasn't one of the choices! 

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

I think a lot of us who have been in teaching naturally see problems with agreement (I done, her and me,), and especially the over use of 's when it's only showing plural, and spelling, but I would never point it out.

"Her and me" do agree though Smiley Wink  One of my pet peeves is when "her and I" and the like are used as the object of a phrase, as in, "he was speaking to her and I."

Honored Contributor

I automatically pick out typos.  I don't point them out here in the forums, but I may at work.  Like if it was in a document that was going to be passed around or in training materials.

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Maybe those who did the study are the jerks?

After decades in a classroom where my job was to spot errors, I rarely have to work to see typos -  pointing them out is different.  I think pointing out obvious typos just to find something negative to comment on falls into jerkdom  (a word I suspect does not exist!).

There's a lot of pointing it out here, and I agree with the study analysis.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Totally ridiculous study. Shows the dumbing down of our society.

@RetRN

What does being publicly rude to a poster who misspelled or mistyped have to do with dumbing down?

It doesn't.