Respected Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

[ Edited ]

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

From NPR:

"A new study out at the University of Michigan. They had 83 people read emails that contained typos and/or grammatical errors. And they found that cranky people are more likely to notice misplaced modifiers and, indeed, apostrophes and think those kind of errors are important than, you know, maybe people with real lives do."

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/02/472784754/the-biggest-sticklers-for-typos-tend-to-be-jerks

I always catch grammatical errors and typos and they annoy me but I never say anything about it so does that still make me a jerk?  lol

What do you think?

Most of the time I spot errors but I wouldn't think of pointing them out. However, if NPR is going to point out that "cranky people" are more likely to notice them then whoever wrote the introduction should proofread their work before hitting submit. 

Omitting a word that is necessary for clarification can set off crankiness too: did the person intend to write "more" important than? Or, tongue in cheek, "less" important. 

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Aren't most people worried about their own typos and errors in grammar? I may see some glaring errors but know that I probably make plenty of them myself. I think people who correct other people's typos are petty......but that's just me.

Well said !!!

Honored Contributor

Having any kind of standards is a social faux pas these days!  TOTALLY unacceptable.

Honored Contributor

So would I rather be illiterate and not be able to tell the difference or be a jerk? I'll take jerk thanks. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@kdgn  Did you also notice the length and construction of that NPR sentence?  There were 33 words.  Maybe an English teacher can confirm, but I thought 17 words was maximum for a good sentence.  Then there was the filler 'you know."  Wow, am I feeling cranky now! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We probably didn't need a university study to make this conclusion.  People who make a habit of pointing out typos are jerks, but those who notice them but stay quiet aren't.  Some of us were raised on good grammar and spelling and naturally cringe when we see errors.

Respected Contributor

I usually notice grammatical errors but never point them out to the person.  I am sure I have made errors as well.  I do, however, know the difference between your and you're and there, their.  Drives me nuts.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Having any kind of standards is a social faux pas these days!  TOTALLY unacceptable.

I think it is good to have standards for oneself. However, applying them to everyone we encounter that may make an error in grammar or typo, isn't my idea of gracious behavior.

Esteemed Contributor

Every year, I am on a board that rates applicants for a college scholarship. Their letter counts for 30% of their score. If the content of the letter is OK, but their use of the language is not, it can be the deciding factor between earning a scholarship or not.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Respected Contributor

Allow me to introduce myself.  I am a jerk.

However, I am not a cranky jerk.