Respected Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

A typo here and there doesn't bother me.  Repeatedly misspelling the same word/words over and over again just boggles my mind.

Poor punctuation bothers me.  LOL

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't point them out, but I do think less of a person's message if the person can't be bothered to spell out entire words like 'you'.

I forgive what appears to be an actual typo, but if there's a pattern of issues, it absolutely has an impact on me.

If you can't communicate well in writing in a world where more and more communication happens in writing, that's a problem that should be addressed, not written off as something only a jerk would care about. People are going to email managers and post replies on company forums where everyone in the company can read them. Poor writing skills impact a person's ability to communicate, gain credibility, and succeed.

Yep. I may or may not point out an error (usually not), but I do judge those who make habitual fairly egregious errors in grammar and/or the spelling of common words. I probably don't say anything, but I notice - and personally I value the post less. I don't think many people read everything they see with a mental red pencil in hand, but when it keeps smacking you right between the eyes...

I am much more judgmental of people who cannot argue effectively - who cannot make their points and refute the points of others with reason and evidence - but instead resort to namecalling and assertions that the "other" person "lacks intelligence."

Esteemed Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@shell garden wrote:

HI DEB1010!  How are you?

I started a thread about Lisa's jewelry, but I kept misspelling the word"jewelry", LOL!  I don't know why!  I was having a few off days, I guess.  😋

Anyway, people pointed it out, but I did not take it personally!  I went back and edited what I could.  I really did not consider them, "jerks".  I tend to think positive, or at least try, and thought of them as " letting me know", no matter how they put it, lol!  😗

I hope you have a wonderful day!  You should be here for the Master's Golf Tournament.... you are just right up the road!!!

****Hey Kitty!  I'm hanging in there.   Beautiful sunny day for golf around these parts -- assuming it's good up the road at the Tournament.

Hey speedy SWEETPEA!  Yep, beautiful day!  Been to the Master's Tournament back in my wild days, I stay away now!  LOL, give my tickets to family and friends.  The traffic is horrendous, but the visitors are nice and I know they enjoy it here!  Have a good day and keep on hanging! 😘

Respected Contributor

The bigger question is:  who gave them the authority to such labeling?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

So I guess when you didn't get the job because 'you're ressume' was passed over - can you call them up and say - hey don't be a jerk?

Super Contributor

Deb1010yetagain. I guess that makes me a major jerk!!!  I'm a former English major and have three degrees.  It makes me crazy to find typos!

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

my EX boss who I worked for for 25 miserable years was one of these people. He just loved to point out errors in spelling or anything. He liked to laugh at people as well.  He was an only child and very arrogent and spoiled with a sliver spoon in his mouth from birth. I always though he was a jerk.

I had to bite the bullet and I put up with it for a long time. To this day three years now retired, I still can not stand the thought of him and  I am so grateful not to have to see his face everyday.  He even smelled bad to me. Had some kind of odor that was just disgusting..... 

@SeaMaiden

Your post made me laugh, especially the stinky part.  Lol.  I can relate to having a bad boss and enduring years of torment.  I retired a couple of years ago and was very happy not to have to deal with him anymore. 

Enjoy your retirement.  

Honored Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

From NPR:

"A new study out at the University of Michigan. They had 83 people read emails that contained typos and/or grammatical errors. And they found that cranky people are more likely to notice misplaced modifiers and, indeed, apostrophes and think those kind of errors are important than, you know, maybe people with real lives do."

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/02/472784754/the-biggest-sticklers-for-typos-tend-to-be-jerks

I always catch grammatical errors and typos and they annoy me but I never say anything about it so does that still make me a jerk?  lol

What do you think?

I think there is another "group" who pick out grammatical and spelling errors, those who have been "trained" to do so.  My Dad was a Technical Editor, this is what he did for a living (and was NOT cranky, he was a delightfully funny man)....

But since childhood I was taught to "look it up", proof read more than once, etc. so I grew up trying to produce the best copy I could.  My relatives were in the publishing business going back to before the turn of the century so I believe that because of an inherent propensity to try and use proper English and to try to have correct spelling and grammar, I do see it in others..... am I cranky?  Or a Jerk?  I've never been accused of being so... don't feel I am and I see life as the glass half full and really enjoy the ridiculousness I see out there..... Woman LOLWoman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Super Contributor

And i just found mistakes in that I just wrote!

The thing that gives life its greatest significance is the capacity to care
Respected Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@Preds wrote:

Well, that's the way I feel when I see the ones I make. Smiley Happy

@Preds

... and when you see a lot of "edits" to my posts, that's essentially  the reason ... I just can't "leave it be."

Me too, SoX.  I frequently edit to correct a typo error.  Makes me cranky when I see my errors.