Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

@millieshops wrote:

Maybe those who did the study are the jerks?

After decades in a classroom where my job was to spot errors, I rarely have to work to see typos -  pointing them out is different.  I think pointing out obvious typos just to find something negative to comment on falls into jerkdom  (a word I suspect does not exist!).

Ha Ha! Jerkdom! That place is just way overpopulated these days!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

my EX boss who I worked for for 25 miserable years was one of these people. He just loved to point out errors in spelling or anything. He liked to laugh at people as well.  He was an only child and very arrogent and spoiled with a sliver spoon in his mouth from birth. I always though he was a jerk.

I had to bite the bullet and I put up with it for a long time. To this day three years now retired, I still can not stand the thought of him and  I am so grateful not to have to see his face everyday.  He even smelled bad to me. Had some kind of odor that was just disgusting..... 

Esteemed Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain

Hey, read your third sentence.  Did you omit a word?  Go ahead, call me cranky.  😊

I will be the first to admit I am usually multi-tasking while posting and make more than my fair share of errors.  That said, the errors that I find sadly amusing are those where clearly autocorrect has taken over, but the author won't take the time to correct autocorrect.  

There are certain grammatical errors that make my skin crawl:

I seen

He don't

Me and her

And the list goes on.  

Take it up with NPR, I quoted directly from their website.  lol

Gotta love journalistic accuracy! 😊  

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I don't point them out, but I do think less of a person's message if the person can't be bothered to spell out entire words like 'you'.

I forgive what appears to be an actual typo, but if there's a pattern of issues, it absolutely has an impact on me.

If you can't communicate well in writing in a world where more and more communication happens in writing, that's a problem that should be addressed, not written off as something only a jerk would care about. People are going to email managers and post replies on company forums where everyone in the company can read them. Poor writing skills impact a person's ability to communicate, gain credibility, and succeed.

Yep. I may or may not point out an error (usually not), but I do judge those who make habitual fairly egregious errors in grammar and/or the spelling of common words. I probably don't say anything, but I notice - and personally I value the post less. I don't think many people read everything they see with a mental red pencil in hand, but when it keeps smacking you right between the eyes...

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Krimpette wrote:

All part of "dumbing down".  Yes, consider me a "jerk".  I don't point such errors out to the authors, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when I see such errors.  

This is it, in a nutshell. In the world of email and social media, we are often typing and replying quickly, and not checking our work. Mistakes happen, and aren't the end of the world. But some of the things I see border on impossible to comprehend.

I was on a site a couple of years ago, where students and former students were reviewing their experience with an institution of higher learning. The spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure was so bad, in one after another of the reviews, they couldn't have paid me to send my kid there.

I do think pointing it out is rude, but people do notice (myself included) and it seems more and more prevalent, the longer we have the technology.

If poor spelling and grammar are supposed to be evidence of the "dumbing down" of emerging generations, how do you explain the vast array of those very same mistakes made on this forum on a daily basis?  

I think the demographic here leans decidedly  Baby Boomer.  

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

Before Facebook, I had no idea how many people don't know the difference between:

your and you're;

there, their, they're;

to and too...

etc.

It drives me crazy.

I'm surprised that I don't point it out because I AM crabby. 😠

Honored Contributor

My Mom did office work all her life so she was a fabulous typist. On the other hand, I took science courses in high school to prepare for nursing. Looking at my typing was difficult for her but as she always said ,God had other uses for me that did not include typing so she would forgive me typing errors.

IMO ,people who point out other grammar or typing errors do so to make themselves feel like they are superior. In actual fact,they just appear to be very rude.

Contributor

Typos and grammatical errors in emails, no biggie.  To me it's an informal means of communicating.  Typos and grammatical errors in letters and articles drive me nuts.  Sending out a letter with typos just shows you did not take the time to review your work.  And grammatical errors in articles are inexcusable.  Plus, Word gives you red and green squiggly lines to help you out  Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

s'tI lla doog! 😋 😝 😜 😘

Valued Contributor

@shell garden wrote:

HI DEB1010!  How are you?

I started a thread about Lisa's jewelry, but I kept misspelling the word"jewelry", LOL!  I don't know why!  I was having a few off days, I guess.  😋

Anyway, people pointed it out, but I did not take it personally!  I went back and edited what I could.  I really did not consider them, "jerks".  I tend to think positive, or at least try, and thought of them as " letting me know", no matter how they put it, lol!  😗

I hope you have a wonderful day!  You should be here for the Master's Golf Tournament.... you are just right up the road!!!

****Hey Kitty!  I'm hanging in there.   Beautiful sunny day for golf around these parts -- assuming it's good up the road at the Tournament.