Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

I don't see where being able to pick out the errors would make someone a jerk but pointing out errors (outside of teachers in classrooms and work situations where accuracy is important) radomly to others on a daily basis (personal casual conversations, emails, forums, etc) is unnecessary, and would make someone seem a jerk for doing it when it doesn't matter.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As someone who wrote daily for my job, I don't get this at all.

My words were reviewed by others many times and, if my mistakes were not pointed out to me, it made me crazy!

As hard as I tried, I still made mistakes and wanted to know about them. 

Honored Contributor

I am most critical/embarrassed of my own errors. Especially, after I sent the email that I thought looked fine. (They are not "business" emails, but still.....)

The weirdest grammar error lately imo, is saying "mines', not mine.

Honored Contributor

I suspect that the study was geared towards demonstrating this because the study creators have lacks in the area of grammar and spelling and they wanted to take pokes at those who don't.  Plus, correct grammar and spelling are just passe, who bothers with that pointless stuff these days? 

Typos are...typos. Anyone can make them. I don't relate them to incorrect grammar or not knowing how to spell. Making the same "typo" multiple times in multiple posts are not typos, however - they are misspellings.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Deb1010yetagain

Hey, read your third sentence.  Did you omit a word?  Go ahead, call me cranky.  😊

I will be the first to admit I am usually multi-tasking while posting and make more than my fair share of errors.  That said, the errors that I find sadly amusing are those where clearly autocorrect has taken over, but the author won't take the time to correct autocorrect.  

There are certain grammatical errors that make my skin crawl:

I seen

He don't

Me and her

And the list goes on.  

Take it up with NPR, I quoted directly from their website.  lol

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

Well, that's the way I feel when I see the ones I make. Smiley Happy

@Preds

... and when you see a lot of "edits" to my posts, that's essentially  the reason ... I just can't "leave it be."

Honored Contributor

I don't point them out, but I do think less of a person's message if the person can't be bothered to spell out entire words like 'you'.

I forgive what appears to be an actual typo, but if there's a pattern of issues, it absolutely has an impact on me.

If you can't communicate well in writing in a world where more and more communication happens in writing, that's a problem that should be addressed, not written off as something only a jerk would care about. People are going to email managers and post replies on company forums where everyone in the company can read them. Poor writing skills impact a person's ability to communicate, gain credibility, and succeed.

Honored Contributor

Aren't most people worried about their own typos and errors in grammar? I may see some glaring errors but know that I probably make plenty of them myself. I think people who correct other people's typos are petty......but that's just me.

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

All part of "dumbing down".  Yes, consider me a "jerk".  I don't point such errors out to the authors, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when I see such errors.  

This is it, in a nutshell. In the world of email and social media, we are often typing and replying quickly, and not checking our work. Mistakes happen, and aren't the end of the world. But some of the things I see border on impossible to comprehend.

I was on a site a couple of years ago, where students and former students were reviewing their experience with an institution of higher learning. The spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure was so bad, in one after another of the reviews, they couldn't have paid me to send my kid there.

I do think pointing it out is rude, but people do notice (myself included) and it seems more and more prevalent, the longer we have the technology.

Respected Contributor

I agree - and I'm an English major.  If I were at work - of course I'd correct mistakes on anything going out.

But someone else's email - generally not.

I also find it amusing when people go ballistic over new words or even new usage.  Language evolves - always has.

My feeling is - if I can understand what the person is saying - it's all good.