Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

@Giggles Too wrote:

@GingerPeach:  Thank you for the clarification.  

Speaking of "crankiness," I think in a sense "crankiness" is a form of cruelty, a form of bullying, a form of passive-aggressive behavior.

It's only good manners and respect for the dignity of others, that If a person's cranky, they should realize it and, if they're intelligent, figure out why they're cranky and shift into a more productive vibration.  

Seriously? SMH.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

The term "jerk" should also apply to someone who calls a person out for making a punctuation error, and then has one in her response.

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Pook wrote:

@september states It's kind of like when you have a piece of your lunch stuck in your teeth.  Are you the type of person who wishes someone would give you a clue...or ignore it?    There is a huge difference since having someone tell you that you have something stuck in your teeth matters but someone correcting grammar,etc in an informal setting does not matter and every occasion I have seen it is someone (claiming they are being helpful) but in reality they are just showing their superiority!!  It is not being helpful when it's informal, unsolicited and not school or business related - just ill manners!!!  Just because you may have degrees and more book knowledge you do not have to flaunt it when it doesn't matter!!  While the person "corrected" may pretend not to be hurt or angered by the "correction, they probably have better manners than to tell the "corrector" how rude they are!!!  It sure would be hard to resist the urge to say something like now aren't you so smart and special to have been appointed to make sure everyone knows the correct way to speak, etc!!  Most everyone who has witnessed these incidents roll their eyes and laugh silently with others at the rudeness!  So if you think you are helping - well 99.9% of the time you are not!!

Spoken like someone with a spelling/grammar inferiority complex, lashing out about it because you're sensitive about it.

September said SHE appreciated it when others corrected HER. So I guess she's the .1% - but as you know, that's a made-up statistic based on your "issues." 

-------

I agree 1000%, about how utterly rude it is, to correct other people on grammar, pronunciation, etc.  It's one thing, I suppose, if it's a family member, or close friend, and it's just the two of you.  

To correct someone, in front of other people, is so rude. It may embarrass the person being corrected, but other people in the group, are embarrassed for the person, ill mannered enough to do the correcting.  

Valued Contributor

An error is an error. Calling someone a jerk because they have good grammar skills is not helpful. I will point out errors to some of my family (those who care about correct grammar), but otherwise I let it go...or try to. Seeing errors in library books is a real pet peeve. I am available to edit books/articles for those authors who have difficulty writing well (but I don't think I'm a jerk). Cat Wink

Regular Contributor

It doesn't bother me to be corrected if it's done politely. Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

typos in emails or on the forums don't bother me at all. i know i make them myself and i know better, but such is life!

i do have a problem with typos and grammatical errors with professional documents, whether i've typed them or someone else.  i always make sure that i have someone proof for me because many times i can't see my own mistakes.  i can't say the same for some others and it's embarrassing.