Valued Contributor

Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

From NPR:

"A new study out at the University of Michigan. They had 83 people read emails that contained typos and/or grammatical errors. And they found that cranky people are more likely to notice misplaced modifiers and, indeed, apostrophes and think those kind of errors are important than, you know, maybe people with real lives do."

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/02/472784754/the-biggest-sticklers-for-typos-tend-to-be-jerks

I always catch grammatical errors and typos and they annoy me but I never say anything about it so does that still make me a jerk?  lol

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Study finds people who pick out typos are " jerks"

All part of "dumbing down".  Yes, consider me a "jerk".  I don't point such errors out to the authors, but that doesn't mean I don't cringe when I see such errors.  

Honored Contributor

Well, that's the way I feel when I see the ones I make. Smiley Happy

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

HI DEB1010!  How are you?

I started a thread about Lisa's jewelry, but I kept misspelling the word"jewelry", LOL!  I don't know why!  I was having a few off days, I guess.  😋

Anyway, people pointed it out, but I did not take it personally!  I went back and edited what I could.  I really did not consider them, "jerks".  I tend to think positive, or at least try, and thought of them as " letting me know", no matter how they put it, lol!  😗

I hope you have a wonderful day!  You should be here for the Master's Golf Tournament.... you are just right up the road!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Preds wrote:

PREDS.....I am sitting right beside you on this BUS, lol!

Honored Contributor

Maybe those who did the study are the jerks?

After decades in a classroom where my job was to spot errors, I rarely have to work to see typos -  pointing them out is different.  I think pointing out obvious typos just to find something negative to comment on falls into jerkdom  (a word I suspect does not exist!).

Respected Contributor

@Preds wrote:

LOL!!!!! Too funny! Best answer I've heard in a long time. Ten hearts for you.

And as far as this study goes, absurd.....on so many levels.

Honored Contributor

Totally ridiculous study. Shows the dumbing down of our society.

Esteemed Contributor

You can't un-know what you know, so if you see spelling, punctuation, and grammatical mistakes, you can't help it. I don't think that makes someone a jerk, just knowledgable and observant. Constantly bringing it to someone's attention? Maybe jerky, maybe just a perfectionist. I think this study was done by someone who never "got" grammar et al.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Deb1010yetagain

Hey, read your third sentence.  Did you omit a word?  Go ahead, call me cranky.  😊

I will be the first to admit I am usually multi-tasking while posting and make more than my fair share of errors.  That said, the errors that I find sadly amusing are those where clearly autocorrect has taken over, but the author won't take the time to correct autocorrect.  

There are certain grammatical errors that make my skin crawl:

I seen

He don't

Me and her

And the list goes on.