Honored Contributor

Strange Request from a co-worker...

[ Edited ]

I recently started a job at a TV station. We had a get together yesterday to discuss practices, procedures and what we can do better.

No topic was off limits.

When we were asked what one thing would be like to see happen - someone wanted a water cooler. I wanted more recognition for new clients. Then a guy said that he wanted open carry in the building. He said that he felt nervous working at a TV station and having to leave his gun in his glove compartment. He said that he carries on all his sales calls (we don't handle money, BTW.) He said that we would be safer if we posted a sign and said that weapons were allowed and encouraged.

Am I the only one who thinks this is a strange request???

Does anyone (and I don't mean LE) work at a business where fellow employees carry their guns???

Honored Contributor

Re: Strange Request from a co-worker...

Very strange under the circumstances.  There would be a high risk of him shooting a co-worker if there was a confrontation and the owner would get sued big-time.  I hope tthe boss nixed that idea big-time.  That why we pay for cops, and it's their job.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's political

Valued Contributor

I have a conceal carry permit. In my opinion, he should be allowed to carry, concealed. Open carry could cause a problem, as it could spur someone to do something silly. I am very well trained and if there is a violent criminal intent on committing mass murder, properly trained conceal carry permit holders will shut that down quicker than waiting for police. This has been proven over and over again, but the mainstream media never reports those instances. In my city, the sheriff encourcages conceal carry.  Guns do not commit crimes, people do. Cars don't cause accidents, people do. Alcohol doesn't cause fatalities, drunk people do. The instances of mass shootings always occur in "Gun-free zones". Criminals do not obey laws, lawful gun owners do.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

Magic right before my eyes!  The incredible shrinking thread.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I feel sure your coworker's response is based on the young female TV reporter and cameraman who were killed on the job in Virgina just a couple of months ago by a former disgruntled coworker.   They were not inside the station however when they were shot.  I don't think your coworker should be carrying his gun inside the building, but I do believe the point of securing the TV station should be looked into, so that all employees are safe when they are working.    

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

I feel sure your coworker's response is based on the young female TV reporter and cameraman who were killed on the job in Virgina just a couple of months ago by a former disgruntled coworker.   They were not inside the station however when they were shot.  I don't think your coworker should be carrying his gun inside the building, but I do believe the point of securing the TV station should be looked into, so that all employees are safe when they are working.    

We don't have news in our building. It's produced somewhere else.

He sells ad time - not a local on-air celebrity.

As I said, they added concrete barriers in front of the entrance and the building is secure.

Trusted Contributor

Is that legal in a business, where you live?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bestdressed wrote:

I have no idea. He says that he keeps his loaded gun in his glove compartment and straps it on when he calls on a business client.

He said that he feels uncomfortable being in public w/o his gun.

Trusted Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Bestdressed wrote:

I have no idea. He says that he keeps his loaded gun in his glove compartment and straps it on when he calls on a business client.

He said that he feels uncomfortable being in public w/o his gun.

Is he sweaty, nervous and paranoid???

Run for the hills .........Smiley Surprised