Honored Contributor

Stop Lugging it With You to Every Thread

Just my thoughts - 

Several current threads about kindness/unkindness and forum squabbles and arguers/challengers. My 2 cents worth on a related issue -

If you have a difference of opinion with someone in a given thread, even if it's heated, *leave it within the thread* and don't take personal pot-shots at the poster anywhere and everywhere you come across them in the forums, for no reason OTHER than to take a personal pot-shot.

You may very well encounter the same poster in a different thread and agree with them and heart them - that certainly happens to me. But even if you don't agree with their *opinion* on a topic in a thread, don't use the fact you are simply in the same thread because of mutual interest to fling *off-topic* personal mud at them. NO, they are not always addressing every comment they make anywhere and everywhere as a personal insult to YOU. In the scheme of things, "you" (whoever you are) are a VIP to *yourself*, but not to others. Seriously.

This holding of grudges and invariably responding in a pisthy way to certain posters who have po'd you once upon a time is to me the single largest posting "issue" there is here.

Post to the ISSUE. Disagree about the ISSUE without bringing 'history' into it. Don't just whiz personally on people you think you have a history with just because you feel like doing it, even when it's irrelevant to the thread.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Stop Lugging it With You to Every Thread

Oh good grief - nobody is going to change anybody else.  Everyone has been guilty at one time or another so this constant lecturing on how we all should post is beyond old.

Gads.  Live and let live.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gads indeed. So are the inevitable posts about "lecturing." 

LOL.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

So you're saying in the past you've never brought into a thread a poster's history or things they said elsewhere and also going forward you're never going to do it?

That's a tall order for any of us to fill, jmo thinking about this.

Honored Contributor

jerks are jerks, it's rediculous to expect people to not remember that. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Cat Tongue

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Is this not a lecture thread?  Drat - I left my notebook at home.Smiley Tongue

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Juniebugz wrote:

So you're saying in the past you've never brought into a thread a poster's history or things they said elsewhere and also going forward you're never going to do it?

That's a tall order for any of us to fill, jmo thinking about this.

Things they said elsewhere and calling them out on it? Quoting from another thread, or saying so-and-so did such-and-such in another thread? I try very hard not to do that because usually I don't see the point.

As for those saying "so you've never, ever" - no, I did not say that. I'm not perfect. Like many other posters have said over time about forum behaviors, it's what we should *try* to do, as much as possible. I do not set myself up as the perfect arbiter of behavior that I have "never ever" done, nor am I setting myself up as a perfect person.

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

Is this not a lecture thread?  Drat - I left my notebook at home.Smiley Tongue

Well, there are posters who do seem to think almost every thread is a lecture thread. I don't, so I wouldn't know.