Respected Contributor

One thing SB is doing that I really like is allowing you to send in your order and then pick it up without having to stand in line to order and wait for it.

SB may not be everyone's cup of coffee, but I like it - have no problem with people lingering.  Again, if it really bothered me, I'd stop going - or maybe pick up my coffee and take it somewhere else to drink - maybe Barnes and Noble??? 

Respected Contributor

@Jackaranda wrote:

Okay a place that sells food and drink is not a restaurant? They encourage people who have already consumed and spent their money to hog tables so the next person who comes in cannot consume and spend ? Seems odd for a profit making corporation to think that way. Or is it the typical gang up on a certain poster day? Peace out.

its a coffee house.  they encourage the behavior to hang out and spend time there. 

Starbucks is making HUGE profits.    No one is ganging up on anyone.  The only name calling I see is from the OP and one other person

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Super Contributor

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@biancardi wrote:

starbucks isn't a restaurant.   They encourage this type of behavior.   It isn't going to change.

Ding!

This is the reality.  If you're not good with their business model, then Starbuck's is not a good choice for you.

I personally would not go to Starbucks to work.  I always work in my office or at home where I can concentrate in a quiet environment.  Going out in public and sitting alone working is not my cup of tea.  I also would not go to a coffee shop and sit alone and just drink my coffee.  If I go to a coffee shop, I am going there to socialize with a friend or group of friends.  I love the coffee, but unless I am meeting someone,  I ususally just go through the drive thru and am quickly on my way. 

That being said, if Starbucks took away the Wifi and hurried people through by having rules and time limits to impose, Starbucks would not be Starbucks.  This sitting and lingering was their plan for the business.

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

They are being boycotted for having plain red cups for their "holiday" theme...an abomination.

So with all the boycotters off to Dunkin Donuts this Christmas, there should be plenty of space for everyone else!

when i read that a few days ago @terrier3 i was in "shock"......my first thought was that they were trying to save money by not printing their winter themed print on the cups. i would never have thought that they were anti-christmas. oh well, it is certainly their right to boycott, but i will still enjoy the #redcups. Woman Wink ....they are bright and cheery.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Kcubed wrote:

I personally would not go to Starbucks to work.  I always work in my office or at home where I can concentrate in a quiet environment.  Going out in public and sitting alone working is not my cup of tea. 

Groan.

Super Contributor

@Deanie wrote:

Very interesting topic.  I seem to see that it less about Starbucks and more about common courtesy.  It dovetails nicely with unruly children running amok in restaurants, people at the gym monopolizing equipment, loud conversation in public restrooms etc.  I am certain that the posters could add many others.  Perhaps it is the years of feeding the pablum of "self esteem" throughout the school system that has created this monster.  I don't know.  However, it is rampant and everywhere.  People cant wait their turn at a 4 way stop.  Drivers dart without looking...hmm.  Back to Starbucks, I recall that in NYC, they removed all their public restrooms from all their facilities.  Apparently, people were coming in off the street to use their restrooms and NOT purchasing a thing.  So to solve this dilemma, they simply removed them and to comply with NYC law did some fast and loose shenanigans. So, I guess Starbucks does have a tipping point.  Don't know what that is, but, other establishments are setting limits on WiFi use and some even eliminating it altogether to solve the issue.

It seems that schools are blamed for everything these days, but I must admit, this is a new one!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Totally OT, but how weird is it that every time I go by this thread my brain reads "Starbuck's Lingerie?"

Coffee underwear; whodathunkit?confused

Respected Contributor

I don't think the lingering issue can be blamed on schools, youths or anyone.  I remember as a kid that the "old timers" in the town would hang out at the local coffee houses there too.  And that was before wifi or the net!  They would take up huge tables and gab for hours. I used to wait tables as a teen, so I know they were  just "squatters" (to use the obnoxious term here to describe starbucks customers)

Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
Respected Contributor

Re: Starbucks Lingerers

[ Edited ]

OP this is a problem at my starbucks too.   People use starbucks as their wifi office.  This morning there was a table of six people conducting a meeting. WHich meant that two other tables had no chairs.   Another table of two working around a laptop.  These people might get one drink, but that is it.  Once there was a lady that stayed all day, M-F and would leave her laptop plugged in and walk over to Macdonalds and get her cheap coffee.  Really!  Then there is the man that woukd leave his laptop and papers spread out on the table and go out for lengthy smoke breaks. Complain.  Boy Thats what i did.  One day i packed the gals ****** up and put it on the floor.  This morning the manager helped find a chair for me.  They are aware of the problem and are loathe to take away the wifi because it will penalize folks that do not abuse it.  I advocated a sign that would say something like please enjoy our coffee shop and our wifi.  You will have a half hour limit.  This is what the library does to curb abusers.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

They are being boycotted for having plain red cups for their "holiday" theme...an abomination.

So with all the boycotters off to Dunkin Donuts this Christmas, there should be plenty of space for everyone else!

when i read that a few days ago @terrier3 i was in "shock"......my first thought was that they were trying to save money by not printing their winter themed print on the cups. i would never have thought that they were anti-christmas. oh well, it is certainly their right to boycott, but i will still enjoy the #redcups. Woman Wink ....they are bright and cheery.

starbucks is not anti-christmas. They still sell christmas decorations, christmas mugs and their christmas blend coffee.

Their past cardboard cups never had a christmas theme -snowmen, birds, snowflakes are not Christmas themed. 

Much ado about nothing.