Honored Contributor

Re: Sport's Authority closing all 460 stores

I'm m sorry to hear they're closing. I like our local store.  It was formerly, a Circuit City..and we know they all went under.  The building (a nice one with good parking) sat vacant for years, then Sports Authority moved in, and it seemed like a good fit.  

Trusted Contributor

I hope the employees are able to find other jobs very quickly.

Do the math.
Respected Contributor

I live pretty rural.  We got a Sports Authority about 2 years ago.  ******'s Sports came in about 9 months later and Sports Authority closed shortly thereafter.  It didn't even make it a year here. 

Honored Contributor

I checked the store locator and the closest store to me is in Michigan.  Guess that's why I've never heard of them.

Regardless, it's sad. 

Honored Contributor

The one near me is in a mall area, it's the Paramus store, if you know where that is.  Wonder what will go in there, we have plenty ,of stores now in Paramus.  Will probably sit there

And there is a Richards store near by too,

Respected Contributor

It was very sad to hear this but I honestly can say I don't remember the last time I went to a SA and I used to shop there a lot in the past.  I have two children ages 26 & 30 and they rarely shop at a B&M store.  At Christmas time my DS orders all gifts on-line & has them shipped to our address.  I think that a lot of B&M stores are hurting. 

Honored Contributor

The one nearest to me already had their closing sale a few months back so i picked up a few workout shirts. I haven't been in there in quite a number of years because they were always too expensive and rarely had sales. I could always get the same items elsewhere for less than retail price ,which is always what they charged. I am actually surprised they made it this long since they didn't seem too concerned about being competitive with other stores (online and b&m) even though they were never busy, in fact, pretty dead most of the time even, around Christmas.

Respected Contributor

It was mentioned in the local tv news last night; probably a reminder to shoppers.  They said Broncos jerseys were selling for less than they are at the Broncos store, but I don't know if they have them for all the team members or just the most popular ones.

Always sorry to see something like this happen.  It has such far-reaching consequences for all of us in terms of the economy.  I sure hope the SA employees can get re-employed elsewhere quickly.

Respected Contributor

I was in our local SA a week ago and the store was 3/4 empty. The merchandise was only 30% off and some was not on sale. This surprised me. I did find what I was looking for at 30% off.
Respected Contributor

We were there Saturday. There was still a lot of things for sale. Most things were 50% off and some things were 70% off. My husband got a North Face jacket for 50% off and some Under Armour things. I got some shoes and sports bras and some shorts.

They were giving away hangers. I was willing to buy them but the manager said to take as many as I wanted. I was happy about that.

They're even selling the store fixtures.