Respected Contributor

Vermont is beautiful in early fall! The Inn in Grafton is amazing and not too far up in the state! Washington D.C is fun as is Boston. Cape Cod is still warm but not crowded after Labor Day! Not sure where you are traveling from. Mackinaw Island in Michigan is nice! My vote is Cape Cod, then Grafton, Vt.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas!  My husband and I love Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont.  We hadn't thought about Michigan, and I haven't been there in ages. Smiley Happy  I'm looking forward to some serious planning. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Speaking of fall...

[ Edited ]

@mac116

New Hampshire has nice foliage, as the state has a lot of trees, woods, and mountains.  I think they have more of these things than elsewhere in New England, so traveling the roads there looking at the fall foliage might yield lots more scenery.

If you like the beach, the Cape Cod National Seashore is gorgeous after Labor Day.  I drove it once in late October when the weather was still warm, and it was beautiful. The crowds were gone.  It's at the very end of the Cape near Wellfleet and Provincetown.  If you decide to go that route, I'm sure you could find plenty of things to do.  I'm more of an ocean person than a mountain/woods person, so that would be my choice for a fall foliage trip.

Super Contributor

The Cozy restaurant in Thurmont, MD has been torn down and is now a car dealership"s parking lot!

Honored Contributor

LOL