Trusted Contributor

I am looking for ideas for a fall vacation.  I am newly retired from teaching, and my husband has vacation days to use up before the end of the year.  We are looking to stay in the U.S. because of an ailing mother-in-law.

Respected Contributor

Fall is a beautiful time in Ct., Vt., and Mass.  The only time I feel homesick about no longer living in those places is Sept. and early Oct.

Trusted Contributor

I am a retired widow.  In the fall I check the fall leaf reports, take my camera, and head out to the areas with the best color and views.  My family loved to go camping in Canada and in the NY mountains.  The Finger Lakes area is beautiful as well.  There are wineries, farmers and craft markets, alpaca farms and many other interesting things along the way.  These small trips are a continuation of my family memories.  I have plans to go to Pa for an apple festival and a corn festival.  I enjoy old time country fairs, flea markets and antique tractor shows and pulls.  So much to do and so little time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

I am a retired widow.  In the fall I check the fall leaf reports, take my camera, and head out to the areas with the best color and views.  My family loved to go camping in Canada and in the NY mountains.  The Finger Lakes area is beautiful as well.  There are wineries, farmers and craft markets, alpaca farms and many other interesting things along the way.  These small trips are a continuation of my family memories.  I have plans to go to Pa for an apple festival and a corn festival.  I enjoy old time country fairs, flea markets and antique tractor shows and pulls.  So much to do and so little time.  

Upstate, NY would be wonderful.  Especially if the trip would coincide with the Fall Foliage.  Beautiful.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont. Gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

Michigan is beautiful in Fall follage in Oct too. Check on line to see when all these states hit their best times. It's like a giant bouquet in each state. We're so lucky!!! Maybe you could go from state to state. OOOOOOOhhhh!!! Have some apple cider, and don't forget a hayride too.

Honored Contributor

Every fall we travel between Pa and Fl down the eastern states and IMO we see the very prettiest foliage in the mountains of w Va and Va. This year we are planning a mini vacation along the way in Ashville NC.

Honored Contributor

I can't imagine a more beautiful fall than on Skyline drive in Shenandoah National Park-thru VA and WVA or Thurmont MD, a charming small town with a famous restaurant/lodge-The Cozy Inn

Fall Colors of Skyline Drive by Belote-Art on DeviantArt

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

Fall is a great time to travel as kids are in school and things are less crowded. I miss the fall foliage. We will be in NY and Canada at the end of September.

Have fun.

Frequent Contributor

Here in western MA autumn is beautiful - however, even we take day trips across the state line into Vermont, where the foliage is spectacular.  Last October we went to Manchester VT; outlet shops and the Orvis flagship store.  This October we plan to visit Montpelier.