Respected Contributor

I recently drove through Jacksonville to Orlando. Not only was the traffic heavy but the construction is horrendous and the lane changes not well marked. Very scary to someone who does not know their way around.

I did not find the drivers to be any more aggressive than elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

Hi Ditzy!  I don't know if there any real quiet places in SW Florida.  Acadia is quiet somewhat.

There has been a population explosion, and judging from last summer and the traffic, there are more people spending year round here....

I think there will be a big effort to keep Babcock Ranch quiet, but who knows?

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I don't think traffic is ever light where we live now...people on the move night and day.

Respected Contributor

This week is spring break in many school districts in the northeast, so lots of folks go on vacation this week to Fla. with their school age kids.  I did this for years when my son was in school.

Baseball's spring training exhibition games start this week too, if I'm not mistaken.  My husband is in Clearwater/Tampa area for a few days and he said traffic was heavier than usual down there but nothing to be concerned about. 

We are from NJ now--originally NYC area-- so heavy/agressive traffic is an everyday thing.  Being afraid is the worst thing to be.  Be confident, alert, careful, and make your move when you have an opening, otherwise you will never get off the block. 

Super Contributor
Thanks ladies. Oh how I envy people that can drive anywhere. It is very restrictive to be otherwise.

Respected Contributor

I can't drive for medical reasons: I have to plan outings strategically. I wish we had true mass transit.  I won't use Uber which would be much cheaper, but you don't know who you are getting in the cab with. The premium I pay to my cab company is worth my safety because I know them.... I was never a confident driver when I did drive.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I'm also from LA, so I know about traffic.  Here, it's a much smaller city and, over all, it's not too bad.

But, there is a lot of stupid going on.  People who don't know how to drive in certain conditions, but they're out there wreaking havoc anyway.  People who don't know how to blend in from a freeway onramp - NO, you don't enter the freeway going freaking 20mph!   That is just maddening, when you're stuck behind them wondering which on of those vehicles whizzing by is going to run right into me because of the bonehead in front of me who doesn't know how to drive.

Oh, sorry - rant over.   That is a peeve of mine.   Either get going or get out of the way!  Smiley Happy

I also lived in Western Europe for over 2 years and drove all over the place.  Talk about traffic!  It was another case of 'get going or get out of the way'.   But, since I was already from LA, I had no problem there either.

Respected Contributor

We used to go to Florida in the winter. I never drove. At home I drive but I bought a new car three years ago and I still haven't gotten used to it.

Esteemed Contributor

I've lived here all my life so I guess you do get used to it.  We blame it all on our "visitors" but we love them. 

If you found a QUIET place in South Florida, you would not want to live there; or I wouldn't!  Amazon Prime would be so necessary!  Not many quiet places in the state.  Our town is quiet, but once you leave the area you are on your on!  We have enough stores that you could get anything you really needed, just not many choices available.

Super Contributor

Thanks zhillis. I'm just curious, where is that quiet town?  

I feel so much better that I'm not the only one who has difficulty driving in a lot of traffic. 

Thanks for replying.