Super Contributor

Oh my!!!!  I learned how to drive in the country 30 years ago in upstate ny, and only drove there. Now being in south Florida, it's very difficult for me. The drivers are very aggressive and always seem to be in a hurry. I guess like any city driver. Unfortunately I am the one who has to drive now and I'm not liking it at all. 

Just curious, any quiet places in Florida?  Probably not this time of the year, but quieter than the south part of Florida?

I love the beach, but miss country driving.  😩😩

Respected Contributor

Re: South Florida traffic

[ Edited ]

Whatever you do don't ever come to Maryland, DC, and Virginia.  They are worse.  You take your life in your hands on a daily basis.  Average speed on the interstates are 80 and above.  

When I have to drive in Montgomery County, MD I have to put my mean hat on to keep up with theses aggressive drivers.  Thank goodness I only work in Montgomery county.  I live in Frederick County where the drivers are reasonably sane and non too aggressive.  My happy hat is on there.  

Honored Contributor

I am from Chicago and Los Angeles.   I think Phoenix traffic is a "breeze".......but many people do complain that traffic is "heavy".    I guess it depends on what you are used to.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Ditzydori wrote:

Oh my!!!!  I learned how to drive in the country 30 years ago in upstate ny, and only drove there. Now being in south Florida, it's very difficult for me. The drivers are very aggressive and always seem to be in a hurry. I guess like any city driver. Unfortunately I am the one who has to drive now and I'm not liking it at all. 

Just curious, any quiet places in Florida?  Probably not this time of the year, but quieter than the south part of Florida?

I love the beach, but miss country driving.  😩😩

@Ditzydori

I feel for you!  I cannot drive in high traffic areas!  I become a nervious, quivering mess!  I just can't do it!  DH laughs at me.  He can and will drive any where.  Thank goodness.  I so envy people who can and do drive like that!  I know when we used to go to Florida all the time, he would ask me if I wanted to try and drive and I'd be like -- NO!!!!  There is a large city about an hour from where we live and I keep saying, I want to learn to drive there and drive around there, but I just can't get myself to do it!  I have always been a country driver, too.  I hate highways!!!  Maybe a friend can go with you and be moral support.  Good luck!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I am afraid to drive on the freeway too.I have never driven on one.Where I lived we only had highways and there was a light to get on and off.

Respected Contributor

It's "season" here in southwest Florida. Tourist season, that is, and traffic at times an be horrible. I wouldn't even try to go over to the beaches unless it is early morning. Baseball spring training is starting and there was an article in today's paper about the traffic problems that the Red Sox and Twins games produce here. Just plan on extra travel time and try to relax.

Valued Contributor

I know that feeling since I am with my daughter in Orlando Fl. At first I was hesitant to go anywhere by myself because of the grid being very difficult for me to figure out and the drivers well they are not forgiving if you are looking and driving. But the good news I conquered!  I have found that Oviedo Fl may be a good fit for me. A little slower and seems wide open. Good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@Blingqueen023 That's so funny....I also live in the metro DC area.  I agree that the traffic can be challenging, to say the least.  But I'm much more comfortable with the drivers in Montgomery County than I am with Frederick!!!!  Maybe it's particular areas of each county.  Interesting!!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

I remember the first time we drove to FL: DH wanted me to drive in FL once we crossed the state line.  Well, there was construction all over the place and the speed limit was 70 or 75....it seemed that that was the LOWER speed limit !!!!

Switched seats and drove: scariest time ever !  But, I did it. Now when we snowbird, I keep up with everybody.  Love GPS because I can get in the appropriate lane in time to make the turn or exit.

For me, the scary part now is the girl or guy driver who swerves in and out of lanes at breakneck speed...just to keep getting one car ahead.  

If the driving is intimidating, why not try it at a less threatening time of day when traffic is light ?  Ideally, try to have someone more experienced in the passenger seat to calm you and keep an eye out for potential problem areas. Good Luck and keep your independence as long as you can !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I'm used to seasonal gridlock as I live in two popular beach towns winter and summer.  Winter is the better of the two admittedly.

You just need to learn when to make your move (Friday evening through Sunday late afternoon---bad, Saturday evening the worst!).  But you can still get from point A  to point B-- just not in a few minutes.

I do an unbelievable amount of travelling by car up and down the east coast (700 miles a pop sometimes!), but am lucky I only might run into rush hour gridlock occasionally.  Same for construction areas and the occasional accidents jams.

One thing I've noticed, and it is so irritating, people LOVE stop and go traffic. Why?  Because that's when they take to texting.  Probably on FB complaining they're stuck in traffic.  So when the car in front of them stops texting and starts moving, it takes a few seconds for them to stop texting and start moving....

Technically, traffic jams are worse now because of texters.  Never I thought I'd see the day that IDIOTS make good use of traffic jams.  IDIOTS.