Respected Contributor

Sooooo. Anybody have a good corned beef casserole recipe?

We have the corned beef. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Re: Sooooo. Anybody have a good corned beef casserole recipe?

It never really lasts that long to make a casserole. To me, the sandwiches are what it's all about. Love corned beef, swiss cheese, lot of pub mustard, mayo, and cole slaw. This year I tried lemon cole slaw for a change. It was delish.

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 RainCityGirl said:

It never really lasts that long to make a casserole. To me, the sandwiches are what it's all about. Love corned beef, swiss cheese, lot of pub mustard, mayo, and cole slaw. This year I tried lemon cole slaw for a change. It was delish.

I am with you on the sandwiches. I could enjoy that for the next three days. My husband...not so much. I am thinking I will try some home made hash. He will eat and enjoy most anything with potatoes in it.

ETA...YES, I have a half of a head of cabbage in the fridge too and he loves lemon. Can you give me a quick rundown on that recipe? He doesn't like the slaw with sweet types of dressing. Lemon would be good.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep. I love the sandwiches too!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/18/2015 cody2 said:

I am with you on the sandwiches. I could enjoy that for the next three days. My husband...not so much. I am thinking I will try some home made hash. He will eat and enjoy most anything with potatoes in it.

ETA...YES, I have a half of a head of cabbage in the fridge too and he loves lemon. Can you give me a quick rundown on that recipe? He doesn't like the slaw with sweet types of dressing. Lemon would be good.

I think the homemade hash sounds good. Have you googled to see if there were any recipes that looked good. I would definitely want to make sure it had a lot of good reviews though. I always read the reviews all the way through too because too many people will change the entire recipe and then review that. I hate that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

It doesn't last in my home either....I will end up finishing it off. My son doesn't like it.

I love the cabbage with butter, salt and pepper with the potatoes cut up into it. Yummo!!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Super Contributor

Note: I got this off the internet and I had to alter some things. First of all I used a bag and a half of premixed coleslaw with carrots. Then I added two bunches of scallions, instead of one. I also added raisins. Then I found that the dressing needed to be doubled, plus I thickened it with a little more mayo. However, the lemony flavor was appreciated by all and was really different from the usual cole slaw. Play with the recipe for your own flair.

Lemon Cole Slaw

2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream

2 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest

4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon sugar

3 tablespoons water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1 lb green cabbage, thinly sliced (4 cups)

2 carrots, cut into julienne strips or coarsely grated

1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced diagonally (1 cup)

1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, zest, lemon juice, sugar, water, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, carrots, scallions, and parsley and toss well. Chill, covered, 1 hour to allow flavors to develop. Season with salt and pepper.

Respected Contributor

Note: I got this off the internet and I had to alter some things. First of all I used a bag and a half of premixed coleslaw with carrots. Then I added two bunches of scallions, instead of one. I also added raisins. Then I found that the dressing needed to be doubled, plus I thickened it with a little more mayo. However, the lemony flavor was appreciated by all and was really different from the usual cole slaw. Play with the recipe for your own flair.

Lemon Cole Slaw

2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream

2 teaspoons low-fat mayonnaise

1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest

4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon sugar

3 tablespoons water

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1 lb green cabbage, thinly sliced (4 cups)

2 carrots, cut into julienne strips or coarsely grated

1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced diagonally (1 cup)

1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, zest, lemon juice, sugar, water, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add cabbage, carrots, scallions, and parsley and toss well. Chill, covered, 1 hour to allow flavors to develop. Season with salt and pepper.

Cool. Thanks. I have all of the ingredients too. I will skip the raisins, which I would enjoy, but my husband isn't into the sweet and savory thing. I appreciate your posting the recipe!

Respected Contributor

On 3/18/2015 Lotus~ said:

It doesn't last in my home either....I will end up finishing it off. My son doesn't like it.

I love the cabbage with butter, salt and pepper with the potatoes cut up into it. Yummo!!

I love cabbage about any way. Isn't the cabbage and potato combination kind of what they call bubble and squeak?

Honored Contributor

On 3/18/2015 cody2 said:

How about corned beef hash? Serve it the way they did half a century ago, with a fried egg on top. It's something my father and probably your father, ate. Lots of recipes online. I think it's pretty much just small squares of corned beef and the same size potatoes and onions fried together. Maybe you have to sauté the potatoes first.

Hon, it's an old SF dish {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices