Esteemed Contributor

Re: Someone Paid It Forward Today!

@Pearlee wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Scrooge??  This is getting ridiculous!!  Real acts of kindness like some posted are wonderful and I wholeheartedly believe in those but the game of paying for the person behind for no reason was actually a game that was started on social media to see how many would bite and do it and follow the leader.  While some may get a self serving rush, believe me it's much more rewarding to know you have actually done something good and not just because social media has promoted it and not just to brag about it saying you are a better person than those of us who prefer to use our money to really do good in the world!!  My philosophy is just common sense - use your money to help others - not on a game because you just do what others do or say you should do!!

@Pook  How presumptuous to think you know what a person's motivation is.  You don't, other than your own.   Furthermore, if the "game" as you are calling it - which I disagree with - results in a kindness that makes another person happy, then there's nothing wrong with playing that particular "game."   Just because you don't think paying for someone else's meal is a real act of kindness, that doesn't make it not one.   IMO that's nothing more than your very, very negative attitude.

I agree. I think it also really changes someones mood too and definitely puts them in a more charitable frame of mind. When someone sees how such a little thing can lift someones spirtits and brighten their day (as it did with you) they might be more willing to do it more often and with other things. To say that someone who participates in something like this but doesn't in other (real) charity or acts of good will is just ridiculous too. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

Being kind is not a game. I'm not a really religious type but I know that I really feel a high after attending services and sharing my feeling of community is something I feel compelled to do. Sharing my feelings for others is something I was raised to do.

For those who say it is bragging to share what they do for others is petty imo. To me it's sharing the good feeling they get from making a difference and following Matthew 25.
Trusted Contributor

I've always thought that Starbucks tradition is pretty cool.

It has never happened to me, but I think I would really get a kick out

of it if it did.  I also think the people who pay it forward must feel

great as well.

I don't feel it is silly, nor do I feel that people should instead give to a

genuine charity.  This is different.  Giving to a charity is another topic

altogether.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Smoky wrote:

@x Hedge, there was another one you had written that was in a different language so I used my Bing translator..  What was that by the way. 

Beats me @Suziepeach !

I'm always popping back and forth between mobile and full view, but on a handheld device.

I've seen my posts change fonts and letter size by themselves in the middle of my post, but thats the first time it viewed as English on my phone, and another language on the PC screen.

Talk about incompatibility adjustments!

@x Hedge, when I used the Bing translator it didn't say what language so I just went with it, LOL .. That's stange how things changed & better yet to a different language.  Maybe one of the mods can answer this question... 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I also think it's silly and not really doing anything but making it more difficult for the workers to deal with.  I refuse to take part in such nonsense! What I call paying it forward is when someone really does something to help someone for a real reason (like paying for someone's meal because they are veterans, elderly who remind them of their parents or because they overhear hardships about someone dining somewhere, someone appearing to be having a bad day or someone with well behaved children, etc).  Just randomly paying for someone's order makes no sense.  I can't understand how or why this started but probably by someone who can't be bothered to put time or money into doing things really important and helpful and then they brag all day about what a nice thing they did to get recognition!  I have heard such bragging many times!  I know many actually think they are doing something great and it's a positive thing but I think donating that money to a charity would be more helpful to those really needing it.

I think it's extremely likely that people who do things like this also give to charity and do a lot of other good in the world.

What's wrong with doing a small act like paying someone's toll or for their coffee?   I've never known of anyone, btw, who "bragged" about doing something like this,  When I hear people talk about it, they're the recipients.  And it always brings a smile to their face.  It's not about bragging and it's not about money and it's not about doing it instead of donating to charity, working in soup kitchens, or anything else.

It's about doing something nice for no reason other than to surprise someone and lift their spirits.  I find that people with good hearts tend to do all kinds of good things, both large and small.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I don't care if others want to do this and many probably really think it's an act of kindness and nothing wrong with that - I just find it silly and nothing more than a game.  When you really stop and think of all the money spent on this when most can well afford their own bill, it would be far more useful in most cases to help someone who really might need help. Everyone can spend their money how they want but those that have bragged about the paying for the person behind's order and the expectation is to keep it going is ridiculous.  Just think how much money was spent that could have gone to charities.  When that happens to me I just tell the worker to use that money to help someone who really might need it and I pay my own bill.   Real acts of kindness are great but I don't want to play that game and would sooner help someone out who I know really needs it.  I bet if those who do this were asked to donate the amount of the person behind them's bill to go to a charity they would react negatively.  I've seen how people react when a business is collecting for charity and very few give when asked at the checkout to give just a dollar or the loose change from their bill. 

Wow!  What a gigantic assumption that is!

I'm willing to bet anything that you are wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Yes you can do both if you choose but I would sooner use the money for a real cause or to do a real act of kindness with it and not just pay for the person behind me which is not really going out of your way to do anything. 

You're making a really big deal about a $4 cup of coffee. If the guy in front of me pays for my coffee and I pay for the lady behind me, it's a wash. It's not a hospital wing, it's a cup of coffee.  There's still money in the budget to donate to other causes

Exactly.  People who think this is about the money are completely missing the point.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Scrooge??  This is getting ridiculous!!  Real acts of kindness like some posted are wonderful and I wholeheartedly believe in those but the game of paying for the person behind for no reason was actually a game that was started on social media to see how many would bite and do it and follow the leader.  While some may get a self serving rush, believe me it's much more rewarding to know you have actually done something good and not just because social media has promoted it and not just to brag about it saying you are a better person than those of us who prefer to use our money to really do good in the world!!  My philosophy is just common sense - use your money to help others - not on a game because you just do what others do or say you should do!!

It's not a game, and it most definitely was not not started on social media.  I wrote way upthread about people paying tolls for the car behind them.  That actually happened to me the first few times quite awhile ago - many years, long before social media.  And it happened to me again just a few weeks ago.

I've seen these kinds of random acts of kindness for decades.  There are different ways to do it - as we know from the stories here - but the sentiment is always the same: Someone's desire to put a smile on someone else's face.  I'm not sure why you keep insisting that it's a game.  It's not.  It's simply a nice thing to do.  If you don't feel that way, then don't do it.

Personally, I think it is never wrong to be kind.  And I've never before heard of anyone who didn't think paying it forward was a wonderful idea.  If someone wants to do something for someone else anonymously, that's the purest kind of gift. It's not about being thanked.  It's about the act of giving and reaching out to others to make their day a little brighter.  That's all it is - a little thing that can mean a lot.

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

@Pook wrote:

Yes you can do both if you choose but I would sooner use the money for a real cause or to do a real act of kindness with it and not just pay for the person behind me which is not really going out of your way to do anything. 

You're making a really big deal about a $4 cup of coffee. If the guy in front of me pays for my coffee and I pay for the lady behind me, it's a wash. It's not a hospital wing, it's a cup of coffee.  There's still money in the budget to donate to other causes

Great line!

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Except in my case it wasn't coffee at all. I got a $3.75 breakfast sandwich and a cup of water (free) with it.  And also free was the really good feeling I had all day about having been treated to it, with the exception of reading some of the the party poopers' posts on this thread.

@NYC Susan Loved your posts.