Honored Contributor

Re: Someone Paid It Forward Today!

@Keeper of the koi  What a very sweet post.  Thank you!  Smiley Happy

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

That is something I like about Starbucks. It's just a friendly gesture.

I sometimes pay for the person behind me & sometimes the person in front of me pays for mine. I always ask the barista to give the person a message for me - like "Happy Friday!" or some such thing. Whatever might be appropriate that day. 

Honored Contributor

Paying for the coffee of someone behind me at Starbucks has nothing to do with helping someone out because they may be low on funds. It is not a charity and should not be compared with donating to charities. It surprises me that the comparison would occur to anyone.

It is, as mentioned, a random act of kindness, a little unexpected surprise that is likely to make the receiver's day. It is a "feel good" gesture and everyone benefits, even the baristas involved enjoy it. 

Valued Contributor

@Pook                    Scrooge lives! Dickens would be proud!

Honored Contributor

@willdob3  Exactly!  Very well stated. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

A few years ago my son was studying for his college finals.He got hungry & ran out to Burger King.He came back a while later with a very small bag of food.He usually buys double the amount.After pressing him he told me that when he got to BK a homeless man approached him .He said he had just lost his job & had no money.My son noticed other people ignoring this guy.He went in to the restaurant & ordered a large cheeseburger,fries & a coke.My son paid for the food & then ordered himself something small with the money he had left.He then went out & handed the man the larger bag.

The guy was shocked that my son bought him a meal!! He asked him his name & introduced himself to my son.After thanking him profusely he told my son that he hopes to get back on his feet & promised my son that he will pay his kindness forward!!

I can't tell you how proud I was of my son.He is an only child who was given a lot by loving parents who sacrificed.He got it right!! He understood the lessons we worked so hard to teach him!!  " To whom much is given much is expected"!!! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Scrooge??  This is getting ridiculous!!  Real acts of kindness like some posted are wonderful and I wholeheartedly believe in those but the game of paying for the person behind for no reason was actually a game that was started on social media to see how many would bite and do it and follow the leader.  While some may get a self serving rush, believe me it's much more rewarding to know you have actually done something good and not just because social media has promoted it and not just to brag about it saying you are a better person than those of us who prefer to use our money to really do good in the world!!  My philosophy is just common sense - use your money to help others - not on a game because you just do what others do or say you should do!!

Honored Contributor

@Pook - The only thing getting ridiculous is the fact that you just won't give it up.  You've made your point...repeatedly.

We get it, you don't agree with the practice.

So stop turning a thread about something that made another person's day brighter into a no-win argument and stop judging other people's actions (your last statement) by your own values.

Enough already!

Esteemed Contributor

We have a couple of fast food restaurants here in the small town where I live and I know this has happened quite a bit at our McDonalds drive thru window.  Since I don't go there, it's never happened to me nor have I had the pleasure to brighten someone's day as I, generally, stay away from fast food.  The few times I do, I forget about paying for the order behind me but I'm going to try really hard to remember the next time I'm in a drive thru lane.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown