Esteemed Contributor

Re: Someone Paid It Forward Today!

@freakygirl I totally agree with you. It makes my heart happy to see or hear about any act of kindness.

And to the one who asked why not help someone who "really" needs it, well I do that too, and I am sure many of the other folks on this board do as well. A lot of us are multi talented. We can do more than once type of good thing Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Happycat01, i'd give you more hearts if i could! well said 👍🏼 ❤❤❤

Esteemed Contributor

@freakygirl, Thank you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@phluphy wrote:

This might sound silly but how much do you know to pay.  Like a cup of coffee??  Is there a limit?  Thanks

So Happy for you..

@phluphy  I'm sure the driver asked the SB employee at the window the amount of my order. He had already taken my order when that driver got to the window to pay for his or her order so the employee just included mine on that driver's check.

@Pqfan   You always crack me up!  Smiley Happy

To all the Negative Nellies on this thread, you didn't put a damper on my good fortune.  I hope someone does a good deed for you today, to put you in a better mood that you apparently were in when you posted here.

Honored Contributor

I don't care if others want to do this - I just find it silly.  The money spent would be far more useful in most cases to help someone who really might need help Everyone can spend their money it's their choice but those that have bragged about the paying for the person behind's order going on for quite a long time and just think how much money was spent that could have gone to charities.  When that happens to me I just tell the worker to use that money to help someone who really might need it and I pay my own bill.   I don't want to play that game.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paying it forward, paying it backwards- it's an act of kindness.  Like going to our last game in Knoxville, we were at a Cracker Barrel. An elderly gentleman came in, hobbling with his cane and the manager gave him a chair to wait, as the man was so winded.  So I told our waitress to bring me his bill and the manager brought it to us.  Who knew, that act of kindness could've made his day....   and at Christmas we were having breakfast at a Perkins and there was a table full of Memphis police officers..  I told the manager we wanted to buy their breakfasts and he said someone had already done it so I got everyone of them a Perkins gift card- they

weren't suppose to know who got them but the manager pointed to me and all at one time an entire table of police came to our table and couldn't thank us enough.  They were very grateful, it was the least we could do for them..  It made my husband and I very proud!!! 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

A few years ago at a store a couple of 10-12 year old boys were short about .75 for buying their candy and coke and were going to put something back.  I reached over and gave the extra $$ while telling them I remembered my own purchases as a youngster and hope they would remember the kindness one day. 

Upon walking out the store the woman who had been ahead of them in line and saw and heard some of our talk while trying to get out the door with her cart, purse, ect.. was waiting for me.  She said I thought you would want to know those two young men came over and offered to unload my cart for me and put all into the trunk of my car.  My heart was touched instead of racing off for their sugar fix they stopped to offer their assistance to an older woman and she stayed behind to tell me.  What a moment that as lived on for me for a long time. Kindness to strangers is always a blessing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I don't care if others want to do this - I just find it silly.  The money spent would be far more useful in most cases to help someone who really might need help Everyone can spend their money it's their choice but those that have bragged about the paying for the person behind's order going on for quite a long time and just think how much money was spent that could have gone to charities.  When that happens to me I just tell the worker to use that money to help someone who really might need it and I pay my own bill.   I don't want to play that game.

@Pook   Well that's fine and you are entitled to your opinion.   And yes I can afford the $3.75 which was what my breakfast sandwich cost, that could otherwise have gone to a charity.  But you never know what is going on in someone's life.   A stranger decided to do a nice thing for me to lift my spirits.   Rich people too have deaths in the family, perhaps some bad news in terms of an illness of their own, stress over a child, whatever.  We all have things that cause us stress or pain or angst on a daily basis.  So the person ahead of me chose to pay the under-$5 for my sandwich yesterday.   Perhaps that person has also given a lot to charity.  

As someone else made the point here on this thread, giving to charity and paying for someone's sandwich at SB aren't mutually exclusive.  People can walk and chew gum at the same time.   

Honored Contributor

I don't care if others want to do this and many probably really think it's an act of kindness and nothing wrong with that - I just find it silly and nothing more than a game.  When you really stop and think of all the money spent on this when most can well afford their own bill, it would be far more useful in most cases to help someone who really might need help. Everyone can spend their money how they want but those that have bragged about the paying for the person behind's order and the expectation is to keep it going is ridiculous.  Just think how much money was spent that could have gone to charities.  When that happens to me I just tell the worker to use that money to help someone who really might need it and I pay my own bill.   Real acts of kindness are great but I don't want to play that game and would sooner help someone out who I know really needs it.  I bet if those who do this were asked to donate the amount of the person behind them's bill to go to a charity they would react negatively.  I've seen how people react when a business is collecting for charity and very few give when asked at the checkout to give just a dollar or the loose change from their bill. 

Esteemed Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@freakygirl I totally agree with you. It makes my heart happy to see or hear about any act of kindness.

And to the one who asked why not help someone who "really" needs it, well I do that too, and I am sure many of the other folks on this board do as well. A lot of us are multi talented. We can do more than once type of good thing Smiley Happy

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I agree with @happycat1and @freakygirl. And I'll add this. Who knows the circumstances of the person being treated to an act of kindness? They might be in need as well.