Esteemed Contributor

Re: Someone Paid It Forward Today!

I think it's silly, but if someone insists on paying for my order - great!  lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my old neigborhood we have the reverse.

Somebody comes up and takes your food! Smiley LOL

@PearleeThat must have felt wonderful! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

This has happened to me at toll booths several times.  It's a great feeling, and it's fun to pass it along.  :-)

Respected Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

In my old neigborhood we have the reverse.

Somebody comes up and takes your food! Smiley LOL

@PearleeThat must have felt wonderful! Heart

And at gunpoint.....happened a couple of days ago

Trusted Contributor

This might sound silly but how much do you know to pay.  Like a cup of coffee??  Is there a limit?  Thanks

So Happy for you..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also think it's silly and not really doing anything but making it more difficult for the workers to deal with.  I refuse to take part in such nonsense! What I call paying it forward is when someone really does something to help someone for a real reason (like paying for someone's meal because they are veterans, elderly who remind them of their parents or because they overhear hardships about someone dining somewhere, someone appearing to be having a bad day or someone with well behaved children, etc).  Just randomly paying for someone's order makes no sense.  I can't understand how or why this started but probably by someone who can't be bothered to put time or money into doing things really important and helpful and then they brag all day about what a nice thing they did to get recognition!  I have heard such bragging many times!  I know many actually think they are doing something great and it's a positive thing but I think donating that money to a charity would be more helpful to those really needing it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

I also think it's silly and not really doing anything but making it more difficult for the workers to deal with.  I refuse to take part in such nonsense! What I call paying it forward is when someone really does something to help someone for a real reason (like paying for someone's meal because they are veterans, elderly who remind them of their parents or because they overhear hardships about someone dining somewhere, someone appearing to be having a bad day or someone with well behaved children, etc).  Just randomly paying for someone's order makes no sense.  I can't understand how or why this started but probably by someone who can't be bothered to put time or money into doing things really important and helpful and then they brag all day about what a nice thing they did to get recognition!  I have heard such bragging many times!

completely agree with you

humblebraggig for nothing donate the $5 for someone who needs it

Honored Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

Did you repay that kindness to the car behind you?

When does it end?? Just let the recipient enjoy the kindness that was intended for her. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

It happened to us Thanksgiving, 2015.  We went to Waffle House, believe it or not.  My dad had had a stroke in late summer and was better and when I asked him about Thanksgiving, that's where he wanted to go.  So off we went.

Waffle House was mobbed.  Waiting list for a booth/counter.  No problem.  Everyone was in a festive mood.

We ate at the end of the counter and while we were eating a woman came up and said hello to me and asked who I was with and I told her I was with my husband and father and that my dad had been sick and this is where he wanted to go.  She went and sat back down.  As they left, she waved at me and I waved back and said Happy Thanksgiving and didn't think more of it.

The waitress came over a few minutes later and said that the woman had paid for our lunch.  I was really moved by it.  The waitress said that customers had been doing that all day.

So I looked around and picked the booth behind us- a dad and his 3 children.  

@Pearlee- how nice that that happened to you.  It gave me such a lift that day as I'm sure it did you.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

kindness, generosity, and just wanting to do something nice for someone, is never a silly thing. you never know whose life you can touch, or even change, by a simple gesture. i think both the giver and receiver are blessed by good deeds.