Occasional Contributor

Re: Someone Paid It Forward Today!

A good deed is a good deed........................no matter what the cause.

Acts of kindness take many forms..............................including paying for

someone's coffee!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

What's the point of everyone in line paying for each other's expensive coffee? Wouldn't it be easier to just pay for your own?

Respected Contributor

@Daisy wrote:

What's the point of everyone in line paying for each other's expensive coffee? Wouldn't it be easier to just pay for your own?

@Daisy Sunflower I'll have the unpopular opinion and agree with you.  I totally get  random acts of kindness; I enjoy doing them myself.  If someone paid for my coffee, toll, etc., I would appreciate it and it might even make my day.  But I would not feel like I had to immediately reciprocate and pay for the person behind me. Wasn't the act of kindness that I was surpisingly treated to a free coffee?  So I'm going to pay for the next person, who pays for the next, who pays for the next...  That doesn't seem very random.

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy  That is how I feel as well about the pay ahead thing.  It's happened to me a couple of times and I have felt awkward, but feel silly paying for someone behind me. What I get a thrill out of (and it happened twice last year) is to give someone in the store ahead of me in line enough money to pay their bill if they are short. Now ~ that's feels nice.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For once and for all,  nobody paid for coffee for me.  The barista said the person was "paying for my order [whatever it was -- in this case a sandwich].  Could have been a bagel ($1.50) or a lunch sandwich which costs more than my breakfast sandwich, or a vanilla bean frappaccino or a tea.   And I didn't play any "game" - there was nobody behind me and besides, I'd never even heard of this before (hence, in Mystrion1's lingo, I would just have "bad manners" if I did a random act of kindness some other time not having to do with SB and the person behind me,  or since there was nobody behind me rolleyes).   And who said the person in front of the person in front of me had paid for that driver's?   People here sure do assume a lot.  I took it on face value - someone paid for my order.  How nice of that driver.  Period. End of how I "took it." 

Respected Contributor

I was thinking is there a way I can keep driving around the drive thru until somebody paid for my food?

I would keep going around until they came out and told me to stop or I ran out of gas.Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Except in my case it wasn't coffee at all. I got a $3.75 breakfast sandwich and a cup of water (free) with it.  And also free was the really good feeling I had all day about having been treated to it, with the exception of reading some of the the party poopers' posts on this thread.

@NYC Susan Loved your posts.

Thank you, @Pearlee.  Very kind of you to say so! :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

@Daisy wrote:

@Daisy Sunflower I'll have the unpopular opinion and agree with you.  I totally get  random acts of kindness; I enjoy doing them myself.  If someone paid for my coffee, toll, etc., I would appreciate it and it might even make my day.  But I would not feel like I had to immediately reciprocate and pay for the person behind me. Wasn't the act of kindness that I was surpisingly treated to a free coffee?  So I'm going to pay for the next person, who pays for the next, who pays for the next...  That doesn't seem very random.

A lot of people do that - pay for the person behind them, and on and on.  But I don't think random acts of kindness are usually done that way.  The idea is that someone does something nice, and the recipient is then inspired to do something nice for someone else.  Not necessarily immediately, and not necessarily in the same way.

Knowing how good it feels to get a nice surprise inspires others to do the same.  IMO that's the point.  (And if it ends up happening all at once, one after the other, and everyone smiles and laughs about it, I think that's pretty good too.)

Esteemed Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

I was thinking is there a way I can keep driving around the drive thru until somebody paid for my food?

I would keep going around until they came out and told me to stop or I ran out of gas.Smiley Very Happy

@Pqfan, if I saw you, I would pay for your food.

You've made me smile here so many times, and I would like to pay it forward!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Pqfan wrote:

@Pqfan  ROTFLMAO!  You are so funny!   That might cost 'ya more in gas than just paying for the darn sandwich! Or coffee, or whatever it is you wanted.