Super Contributor

Re: Someone Paid It Forward Today!

@Venezia wrote:

@Pook - The only thing getting ridiculous is the fact that you just won't give it up.  You've made your point...repeatedly.

We get it, you don't agree with the practice.

So stop turning a thread about something that made another person's day brighter into a no-win argument and stop judging other people's actions (your last statement) by your own values.

Enough already!

Amen! 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Pearlee. I dunno what happened to my earlier reply cuz it sure didnt look that way on the preview!!!

Here is is decoded.

My young friend's parents do that at drive-throughs routinely (as in daily.) Financially, they're able to, so have always done it. They've also sent many thousands of expensive toys to children's hospitals, and cases of food to food pantrys. They're exceedingly mindful of, and grateful for the blessings in their life and make a point of sharing a bit of their joy with others daily, in unexpected ways.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did the same today @ Wawa for a young girl (around 20)

Went in to get gas & lunch - young girl in front of me paying - I heard the clerk say your total is $5.08 -- she didn't have enough she turned to and said can you give me a few $$$. I said oh 508 is my lucky pick 3 # I've won many times using that # - so today it's your lucky day - I'll pay for your order!

I came outside to pump my gas she came up to me and thanked me again! (And it made me feel good about doing something nice for someone)

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Hi @Pearlee. I dunno what happened to my earlier reply cuz it sure didnt look that way on the preview!!!

Here is is decoded.

My young friend's parents do that at drive-throughs routinely (as in daily.) Financially, they're able to, so have always done it. They've also sent many thousands of expensive toys to children's hospitals, and cases of food to food pantrys. They're exceedingly mindful of, and grateful for the blessings in their life and make a point of sharing a bit of their joy with others daily, in unexpected ways.

@x Hedge  Thanks for taking the trouble to translate that foreign language post.  I felt like replying "please speak English!"  so I'm happy you re-posted. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

Went in to get gas & lunch - young girl in front of me paying - I heard the clerk say your total is $5.08 -- she didn't have enough she turned to and said can you give me a few $$$. 

I wonder how often she does that. lol

Honored Contributor

I'm kind of with @Daisy on her comment.  I don't think asking for someone else to pay is the same thing at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@x Hedge  Thanks for taking the trouble to translate that foreign language post.  I felt like replying "please speak English!"  so I'm happy you re-posted. Smiley Happy

@Pearlee,  I just looked at that post on my smartphone (where I tapped it out last night) and it's in English when viewed there!

I stopped in at the library to use the PC and saw that post had converted to something else when I viewed it on a full sized screen. I went back and deleated that original post.

Oy! I wonder If I have other posts out there that appear in English on my screen, and read as something else to those using a PC.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge, there was another one you had written that was in a different language so I used my Bing translator..  What was that by the way. 

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I also think it's silly and not really doing anything but making it more difficult for the workers to deal with.  I refuse to take part in such nonsense! What I call paying it forward is when someone really does something to help someone for a real reason (like paying for someone's meal because they are veterans, elderly who remind them of their parents or because they overhear hardships about someone dining somewhere, someone appearing to be having a bad day or someone with well behaved children, etc).  Just randomly paying for someone's order makes no sense.  I can't understand how or why this started but probably by someone who can't be bothered to put time or money into doing things really important and helpful and then they brag all day about what a nice thing they did to get recognition!  I have heard such bragging many times!

completely agree with you

humblebraggig for nothing donate the $5 for someone who needs it

@jackthebear@, @Pook, the people I know who do this make a point of keeping it anonymous. There is no bragging. It's not discussed afterward. It is a selfless gesture. It doesn't impose a hardship on employees to collect payment due from this person rather than that person.

These people make substantial donations as well, but that doesn't keep them from also dropping those joyful "little" gifts you call "nonsense" into strangers lives. They have been doing this for decades.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a coffee drinker but my daughter goes to Starbucks quite a bit and this has happened to her, particularly at Starbucks, over 10 times. That is a lot so it must happen frequently. Though she is there nearly every day of the week! lol!

I had a bite of a breakfast sandwich she got there one day, I do have to say I normally hate breakfast fast food sandwiches but that one was really good. Think it had cheddar cheese and bacon on it and the roll was a round one but was flaky like a crossaint. Quite good. I should stop there tomorrow!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK