Honored Contributor

Re: Some Drs may refuse elective surgery if you smoke

SilleeMee wrote:

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor which means it makes your blood vessels smaller making them less able to transport blood through the body. On top of this, the smoke from cigarettes increases carbon monoxide levels in the blood and this causes oxygen to become displaced from the cells in our body...it robs the body of vital oxygen.

I was a smoker for over forty years. My last cig was smoked in 2010.

Thanks so much for explaining it out a million times better than I did.  I was getting ready to get in the shower and my brain power was taken up.  hehe 

Anyway, those are important functions when your body needs to heal from any trauma and surgery IS a trauma to the body.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm not sure why either @PurpleBunny. I don't think we posted anything against the rules. Maybe someone found our posts offensive somehow and reported them.

There wasn't a thing inappropriate. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

I didn't see what you wrote @PurpleBunny, but if you quote someone and her post is deleted, yours will be, too.  Maybe that's what's been happening with your posts.

Honored Contributor

I guess all it takes is one person who doesn't like what they read here and if they find it offensive in the least bit...well you know how that goes @PurpleBunny. This kind of thing won't make me stop posting what I want to say. I follow the rules to the best of my knowledge as do many of us do.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I also did not see what @SilleeMee wrote so I'm not implying it should have been deleted Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@VanSleepy wrote:

I didn't see what you wrote @PurpleBunny, but if you quote someone and her post is deleted, yours will be, too.  Maybe that's what's been happening with your posts.

I guess so. Must be it. Sigh. 😞

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

I have asthma. I need to be cleared by my pulmonologist  for ANY surgery (even my c-sections) due to the possible risks. The first thing I'm asked is "do you smoke?" The complications from smoking and issues with blood flow is huge so I'm not surprised by this report. Being obese is also a serious issue for multiple reasons. A patient being an alcoholic can prove to be a nightmare for the anesthesiologist (went through that with my dad who lied on his form regarding drinking).

In the end, these are all health issues we bring upon ourselves (the thread on the doctor telling a patient to lose 20 pounds hits on this); we choose to engage in the behavior and we can choose to stop it as difficult as it is. Yeah, it's no picnic but neither is dieing on the OR table and having complications post surgery DUE to our lifestyle choices.

Honored Contributor

Before I had surgery in 1985, my doctor strongly suggested I quit smoking.   Although I wasn't highly motivated,  I went on vacation and smoked my last cig right before the plane landed.   I found it not too difficult to quit with the complete change of routine while on vacation,  although I was a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker. 

I later asked the doctor how many of his patients had actually quit as a result of his recommendation.   His reply was,  "you're the first". 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Seriously?  What was wrong with that?  I just don't get this place anymore. Unreal. 

What was wrong with what?

I mentioned a common dental issue. And it's gone now. 🙄

I've been watching this thread closely and I never saw it. And there's no Mod thread saying anything was removed.

I saw you post similar things about missing posts earlier this week and observed the same thing - no mod post mentioning it was deleted. I don't think your posts are being deleted by mods. I think there's some other issue - maybe the software, maybe operator error, but I don't think your posts are being deleted by mods.

They were there and they are disappearing with no explanation. The only logical answer is that I hit the "reply" button to a post that is removed and mine get taken as well. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

Occasionally the mods delete a post without explanation.  It has happened to me a few times.