Honored Contributor

Re: Some Drs may refuse elective surgery if you smoke

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I guess all it takes is one person who doesn't like what they read here and if they find it offensive in the least bit...well you know how that goes @PurpleBunny. This kind of thing won't make me stop posting what I want to say. I follow the rules to the best of my knowledge as do many of us do.Woman Happy

@SilleeMee This IS exactly what's happening.  It has happened to me just recently.  No clue....

It's too bad the only way we have to contact the Mods is through the main forums and we have no other way to contact them for an explanation. If they're deleting things and leaving to record behind, that's a problem.

You could try emailing the social team.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My parents were both type 2 diabetics. They lived well into their 90's. Neither were on insulin, and they never lost their eyesight  or limbs

I think I know a bit about it, and none of us were ,or are ,overweight

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

My parents were both type 2 diabetics. They lived well into their 90's. Neither were on insulin, and they never lost their eyesite  or limbs

I think I know a bit about it, and none of us were ,or are ,overweight

@cherry, sometimes it's best to just ignore a postSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I've never heard of this before. I guess they feel, it's not in the patients best interest ,to do elective surgery, under certain conditions

http://www.macon.com/news/nation-world/world/article134445104.html#fmp

@cherry

I think every physician (and anesthesiologist) must weigh the pros and cons of surgery when that person engages in high risk behaviors.  

Why should they do an elective surgery on a person who may have a bad outcome .... and later sue them for malpractice?

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@Allegheny, As an aside....  weight can be lost with diet alone. In fact, in my experience, diet is more responsible for successful weight loss than exercise... and it doesn't have to be by severely restricting calories, it can be by the right combinations of healthy foods. It may take a bit longer without the addition of exercise, but it can definitely be done.

@SaRina, I don't think this is true.  I believe that some have to resort to weight loss surgery in order to lose weight.  Perhaps other factors play a roll in the inability to lose weight (genetics) or something.  Not everyone who diets can lose weight.

What I said is true -- that weight can be lost with diet alone. I didn't say it was true for all cases. :-)

Anyhow, I was responding to Allegheny's post where she stated that her DH and brother were thinking about knee replacement surgery, but the doc said they had to first lose 50 lbs. I was addressing the irony of asking a person to lose 50 pounds (for knee replacement) when they couldn't be active enough in order to lose the weight because of their bad knees. I simply said it would be possible to lose weight by changing one's eating habits without the added benefit of exercise.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@Allegheny, As an aside....  weight can be lost with diet alone. In fact, in my experience, diet is more responsible for successful weight loss than exercise... and it doesn't have to be by severely restricting calories, it can be by the right combinations of healthy foods. It may take a bit longer without the addition of exercise, but it can definitely be done.

@SaRina, I don't think this is true.  I believe that some have to resort to weight loss surgery in order to lose weight.  Perhaps other factors play a roll in the inability to lose weight (genetics) or something.  Not everyone who diets can lose weight.

What I said is true -- that weight can be lost with diet alone. I didn't say it was true for all cases. :-)

Anyhow, I was responding to Allegheny's post where she stated that her DH and brother were thinking about knee replacement surgery, but the doc said they had to first lose 50 lbs. I was addressing the irony of asking a person to lose 50 pounds (for knee replacement) when they couldn't be active enough in order to lose the weight because of their bad knees. I simply said it would be possible to lose weight by changing one's eating habits without the added benefit of exercise.

@SaRina, yes I hear you.  It was why I said "some people."  I know a gal who had the surgery because she had no other option to her.  The way she carried her weight made it so.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

On one hand, I understand, on the other I don't.  

The risks, success and recuperation can be greatly hampered if a person is a smoker or overweight.  On many procedures, even cosmetic, physicians will ask the patient to refrain from smoking for a certain period prior to surgery and will explain why.  

My DH and brother both are considering knee replacement.  Their doctors tell them they need to lose 50 pounds prior to surgery.  While I understand why, one point of needing the surgery is to enable the patient to be more mobile so they can be able to be more active and get more exercise.  The same issue with the dozen or so people I know who have had bariatric surgery.

On the other hand, what about non elective procedures that have to be performed whether or not a person is a smoker or overweight?  Do they refrain from doing them?

Or what about a person's status.  Would they expect the same of some high profile person who wanted wanted elective surgery?  

@Allegheny

I'm having my second knee replacement soon, on the same leg.  So, I know a little bit about it.  

One of the issues is whether or not the person has to 'be put to sleep' or just numbed.  Many (of course not all) elective cosmetic procedures can be performed with just numbing. Smoking is a risk to anesthesia as is being overweight.

Also, replacement joints don't last forever and the recovery is pretty painful.  The one I'm having to have replaced is 12 years old - pretty good, but obviously the more weight they carry the more stress on the attachment to the bone and the shorter the life of the prosthesis.

I was not told to lose weight, as I tend to be underweight, which brings along it's own problems believe it or not.  BUT ~ when I was diagnosed with RA at age 17 the MD said be very cautious about weight gain because every pound you put on adds pressure to your hips, knees & feet.

A very effective way for a person with knee pain to lose weight is to join the Y, or other, and walk in the pool.  Burns more calories than walking on ground and takes some pressure off knees.

Good luck to your sibs!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

Way back when -   the early 1990's, a doctor told my older brother who was a heavy smoker not to return to his office unless he stopped smoking.  Doctor felt he was literally killing himself and didn't want the death on his record.

This is one of those truth is stranger than fiction stories:  After 40 years as a smoker, my brother tossed his cigarettes out the car window as he drove home and never smoked again after that night.

That's like my Dad. He quit cold turkey one day and NOBODY even noticed for a couple of weeks. Lol. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@sidsmom  your advice is dangerous. Telling people about diets, where you only eat potatoes,  every day for a year ,is not healthy. Diabetics must count carbs  daily to be in good health

I have a Dr who has actually gone to school , and would never hand out that kind of baloney

Most people I know, would rather take advice from a licenced expert ,than someone pushing dangerous practices on a  BB

The people who follow this diet are running 300 blood sugars and claiming to be cured. One young man was emaciated and sick yet her guru is claiming a patient need not test blood sugars throughout the day. If someone with LADA followed this quackery they would be dead in a few days. Type 2 diabetics could easily run extremely high blood sugars putting them in danger for ketoacidosis. Type 1 diabetics would need to double their usual evening basal dose and pre-meal bolus as well.