Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest.......I purchased a FlexSteel sofa about a year ago.....am very pleased with it.  In fact, I am thinking about getting a new chair by the same company.  They are very good and are very sturdy. 

But if you have a very good sofa, it might behoove you to check into having it reupholstered.  I did that with a Drexel love seat I had, and was very happy with how it turned out. 

Respected Contributor

My Flexsteel pieces have held up beautifully also. 

Honored Contributor

A while back we purchased a couch, love seat, and matching chair from JC Penney.     They were not at all expensive AND were all made in the US.   

I can't say that that still applies, but it was only a handful of years ago.

Respected Contributor

My couch is from the early 1980s, and I had it reupholstered c. 1990 when I bought a house in FL (it went from burgundy batik print to Florida off white.

When I move back north, I may just request slipcovers in "cold weather" and "hot weather" colors, but I will keep it.  It was very expensive at the time I bought it, and is the most comfortable sofa I've ever had.  But it is a sleeper sofa (I originally slept on it when I lived in Manhattan) and SUPER heavy.

So maybe I will decide to consign it down here and look for a new one when I move.  I bet I will bite the bullet and move it, though.  Best sofa for napping I have ever found.

Esteemed Contributor

I've ordered from Bassett on line and been more than pleased.  The whole process was seamless and from what I can tell the furniture is well made.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

Like @Azcowgirl, I like our Flexsteel.  However, if your sofa isn't in bad shape, it's probably better made than any new piece you'll find. Is recovering it a possibility?

Honored Contributor

Have you visited Wayfair online? You can search by 'made in USA'. You can also search by price and have a large selection from which to choose. I believe they offer free delivery

I agree that furniture is not made with the quality it once was. I still have a loveseat that we bought 30 years ago, it was custom and expensive. I had it reupholstered some years ago, also expensive, and now it should be reupholstered again. I can't decide whether to spend another fortune on it or replace it, so I've been using slip covers to put off the decision. What I've found is that there are nice slip covers in all sorts of fabric and design and changing the slipcover seasonally changes the room. For example, I use a pretty floral chintz one in the summer and coordinating throw pillows. 

Esteemed Contributor
IKEA here! Ektorp 3 cushion sofa in living room and Ektorp sectional in family room. Both are 10 years old and withstood dogs, big guys, kids and spills. the sofa goes for $499 and the sectional is $599.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

You might be surprised at how much it costs to reupholster a sofa.  Go pick out some fabric.  I was shocked at the price.  LM

How true!  I recently wanted to have my dining room chairs reupholstered and the guy wanted close to $250 per chair (and I have 8).  It was cheaper to buy new chairs!

Honored Contributor

I have Smith Brothers of Berne furniture in my LR.  It is well made in America.  The cost will depend on what fabric you choose. I really like the comfort and quality.

Some fabrics are terribly expensive, others are reasonable.

They include a lifetime warranty against breaking, warping or sagging of the frame.