Honored Contributor

My sofa is 17 yrs old, it was a expensive one when we bought it,it has held up well,but i really need a new one,can not afford expensive, want made in usa,been looking on line  i have not been to stores yet, what names do you like.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Art Van, but I'm getting a new one delivered tomorrow from La Z Boy. We  were just getting his new recliner. It's dangerous to shop with him!!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't go by brand names when it comes to furniture, I go buy what I like, comfort, and price.

I would never chance buying furniture, especially a sofa, or bed, on-line, because what if it doesn't work out? Then it's a hassle to return it.

I like going to local furniture stores, sitting on the sofa, feeling the fabric, and deciding if that's what I want.

Honored Contributor

When we moved to Fl. we bought new furniture for our living room & master - both from Haverty's. Horrible furniture - only 6 years old it all needs replaced or repaired. Avoid them!!

Honored Contributor

Have you considered getting it reupholstered?

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Have you considered getting it reupholstered?

If the structure is still good, that's what I would do. Reupholstered or slip covers. I went to a store and had a consult and was told their seamstress was so good her slip covers looked like it was upholstered.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely hang onto a solid, sturdy couch, and look into recovering it thru custom upholstery or slipcovers.   I assure you that the wooden frame on a new couch in the moderate price range you desire, will not be as sturdy as what you already have, and the fabric will show wear much sooner than you expect.  

My mother still has the rock solid couch she and dad bought for their Christmas in 1964.  She has replaced the foam cushions twice, and has coverered it with slipcovers for about 15 years but that is one very solid, heavy couch!   

My dad was a furniture salesman, and the brands he always suggested was Vaughn Bassett, Berkline, England Corsair, Pulaski, and Sealy.   

Esteemed Contributor

You might be surprised at how much it costs to reupholster a sofa.  Go pick out some fabric.  I was shocked at the price.  LM

Honored Contributor

Last year after a burst pipe forced replacement of my sofa, I bought mine from Ethan Allan's Quick delivery collection (I forget the correct name; sorry).  There's not a huge selection of fabrics which probably keeps the cost low and accounts for why they deliver quickly (for them), but I wanted what they had so the choices were fine with me.  Also -  that sofa cost no more than the 20+ year-old EA sofa I was replacing.  The sofa is too new for me to assess its longevity.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't know your style but most of our seating is This End Up (now only online) and we bought it all in 1990.  Replaced the foam cushions and covers in 2006 and they are still going strong.