Honored Contributor

Re: Social Security yearly letter?

Won't be in my llifetime, but, day will come when there will be big decrease in everybody's SS.  I look for future generations to only

receive 75% of what we're all currently getting now.

Read calculations for future generations, scary.

Honored Contributor

I have not received one of those letters since 2010.  I still have it my financial files until I finally get a new one.  I suppose it is not a bad thing to be forgotten by the IRS.  I am sure the same info. could be found online.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@ScarletDove  I 

looked up what that form looks like.  Is that what they send out at the end of each year?

It doesn’t look similar.  I’m sure I have last year’s form if that’s the same thing?

OMG!  I’m so paranoid about throwing stuff out.

One of my businesses in Florida was audited by the IRS.

It took me and my business partner 1 year to settle it and then only because the IRS boss told the auditor to “wrap it up”.

When you get audited to that degree, it affects everything.  The US government is so messed up, people would be amazed.

They went back 5 years.  This was right after my husband died.  He was the person (and our partner) worked on this particular business together.  The IRS doesn’t care that I was “catching up”.

I’ve decided that after January I’ll start getting my house ready to sell this coming summer.  It is huge and sits on 1 acre.  My daughter lifted my heart when she said, “This is a house for a family”.

The other houses we sold we had the people who wanted it write a letter on why they want it.  That’s what I’ll do this time too.

Thanks for your help.  You are so kind to help me.

Happy Thanksgiving😀

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Does the Social Security Administration usually send a letter each year letting the participant know what the new figures will be...cost of living increase?  Does that same letter advise you of the amount taken out for Medicare?   It's only the end of November so there is still plent of time for the letter to come.

If my DH gets and opens the mail he is usually very good about leaving everything out for me to read....buy maybe I missed it.  Thanks.

@Mom2Dogs 

I'm not positive ... but pretty sure it comes in January with your 1099 statement for your tax return.   

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Does the Social Security Administration usually send a letter each year letting the participant know what the new figures will be...cost of living increase?  Does that same letter advise you of the amount taken out for Medicare?   It's only the end of November so there is still plent of time for the letter to come.

If my DH gets and opens the mail he is usually very good about leaving everything out for me to read....buy maybe I missed it.  Thanks.

@Mom2Dogs 

I'm not positive ... but pretty sure it comes in January with your 1099 statement for your tax return.   

You can go online to ssa.gov and it will show your increase and your new Medicare payment. I went online and found out my information.

Your 1099 shows your earnings from 2019. It doesn't include your letter from Social Security. 

Medicare is now $144.60 per month. 

Honored Contributor

I know NYstopped sending these out years ago.  You have to set up a password with ss to get that information.  They send out an email once a year to tell you it is online to view.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66  Yes, the Form SSA-1099 - Social Security Benefit Statement is mailed from SS early in the year for the prior year's SS benefits and form will state the year (i.e. 2018); it is used to calculate your Fed/State taxes (depending on how your state deals with SS benefits).  It will also indicate voluntary fed taxes withheld if you have requested they be withheld.

I have been audited years ago and took all my receipts for the auditor to go through based on what he wanted to see.  Guess he had wished he had not asked for that information, took him forever to go through all the receipts.  When he saw I had receipts and the $#'s were correct, he stopped going through the receipts and went with the $#'s I submitted.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you Annabelle!  Be well!

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I just went to social security website & printed mine. So check yours may be there too. You need to tell them in preferances if you want a printed copy mailed to you. Hope this helps.

Respected Contributor

@Miss Shelly if you go to the website there is a place to click if you still want a paper copy mailed to you in addition to the online copy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma ....While waiting to get the letter from SS Administration, we were surprised to read that Silver Scripts has implemented a deductible for DH's drugs.  I don't have the paperwork in front of me but the new charge is $300+!   This is the first year he has had to pay a deductble up front before drugs were covered.

The monthly bill went down about $1.00-2.00....but wow, the deductible!

@Mom2DogsI feel your pain!  I had chosen SilverScripts because it was the only Part D insurance available to me that didn't have a deductible.  Since they've added the deductible for 2020, they're no longer the best deal for me.  So I crossed my fingers and signed up with another Part D insurer.  Bye bye, SilverScripts!  I hate the way the Part D insurers change things every year, so that you have to check everything every 12 months to protect yourself.  Before Medicare, I had the same insurance for years, and it was sooo much easier.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett