Honored Contributor

👌🏾Social Security Sign In **UPDATE**

Just received an email from SS....

"On July 30, 2016, we began requiring you to sign into your my Social Security account using a one-time code sent via text message. We implemented this new layer of security, known as “multifactor authentication,” in compliance with a Presidential executive order to improve the security of consumer financial transactions.  SSA implemented the improvements aggressively because we have a fundamental responsibility to protect the public’s personal information.

However, multifactor authentication inconvenienced or restricted access to some of our account holders. We’re listening to your concerns and are responding by temporarily rolling back this mandate.

As before July 30, you can now access your secure account using only your username and password. We highly recommend the extra security text message option, but it is not required. We’re developing an alternative authentication option, besides text messaging, that we’ll begin implementing within the next six months.

We strive to balance security and customer service options, and we want to ensure that our online services are both easy to use and secure. The my Social Security service has always featured a robust verification and authentication process, and it remains safe and secure.

We regret any inconvenience you may have experienced.

There is no requirement that you access your personal my Social Security account as a result of the steps we are taking.  However, when you do access your account, we encourage you to sign up for the extra security text message option.  You can access your account by visiting ________________" <----I removed the email link."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 👌🏾Social Security Sign In **UPDATE**

I never got anything like that and ss usually always sends a letter with any info, not by email that I know of.

This looks like a scam, also because of the unsophisticated wording.

There is nothing about this in the news and if any doubt ever call the ss office directly (and not any no. or email they give you in the email)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Never received anything like that from SS.

Esteemed Contributor

This is NOT a scam. Go to SSA dot gov.

The agency removed the required 2nd step to get a code via txt message. Too confusing & many elderly didn't have a cell phone.

If you WANT this 2nd step, you can get it when you sign in. 

Saves time, saves $ and saves someone stealing your mail.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Regular Contributor

I personally wouldn't trust this until I got a letter in the mail or called SSA directly, tbh.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I do apologize!

This is just me, I still wouldn't use my cell phone or not for any ss info getting or giving or accessing it by a code they give by text or otherwise. Also with all the hacking/email scams I would still call and make sure it was sent by them to me. WE are always told to do this with emails from banks, credit card cos. etc.

If hackers can hack all the government emails , they can certainly do it again on private citizen emails and phones and have done it before.

Maybe I'm behind the times on this but thats something I just couldn't feel comfortable with.

But anyway thank you for letting people know its not a scam. I shouldn't have said without knowing. But was this in the news at any point recently?

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

i see the options however using our SSN as a security method..  No way.

Honored Contributor

@on the bay, @KaliaMonet & @riley1

If you have an ONLINE account w/SS, you should have gotten an email.  The "cellphone text" password only applies to ONLINE accounts.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I went to SSA just now to access my account and see what's going on there.   I had, at some previous point, signed my account up but couldn't remember my password so I re-set that and it didn't ask for me to be texted anything (yay!  I don't text and have it blocked from my cell phone).

I does offer you something about 'extra security' that you can have it text you something if you so choose.

Glad it's become a 'choice' thing as was indicated in the recent thread about the updated procedures.   This time I'll keep track of my password.  D'oh!  I printed out my statement.

Considering I haven't been on anybody's payroll since 2004, I'm getting a decent monthly chunk so that's comforting - assuming I make it to 66.  Smiley Wink