Respected Contributor

Re: Social Security Advice needed

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

So many smart minds here, I'd like an opinion.   I have done some research.

Here's the scenario.   I become eligible for Medicare on 4/1/2018.    I want to "retire" then but I will not reach full retirement age until 4/1/2019.   Although I am single, I was married for almost 20 years to the father of my children.   He's a disabled veteran.   I know he gets SSI but I don't know if he's filed for his Social Security retirement, he's 69.

If I decide to apply for my SS retirement benefits the year early (2018) can I file on his earnings, then when I reach full retirement age (2019) file on my earnings, assuming mine is higher at that time?   I don't know if it would be, when we were married are salaries were similar.    

If the proceeds I receive from his account is high enough, I could stay on it.

Not sure exactly how it works, I've heard about it.    I've heard about women filing on their husband's account but they were married for 40 years & the hubby made much more money, so of course in that case it makes sense.

Any thoughts?

@software   I think you can draw on your husband's SS.  A friend of mine I used to work with did this.  She was divorcded, 62 years old and got laid off from the company.  I don't know all the details and rules.  If I were you, I would contact my local SS office for the details.  And contact your local office instead of the US office.  I think they are more helpful.  Once when I was trying to get information, I called the US office and the girl hung up on me...

Katie

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Good info

Did you need to provide marriage & divorce documentation?

@CalminHeart wrote:

@software wrote:

So many smart minds here, I'd like an opinion.   I have done some research.

Here's the scenario.   I become eligible for Medicare on 4/1/2018.    I want to "retire" then but I will not reach full retirement age until 4/1/2019.   Although I am single, I was married for almost 20 years to the father of my children.   He's a disabled veteran.   I know he gets SSI but I don't know if he's filed for his Social Security retirement, he's 69.

If I decide to apply for my SS retirement benefits the year early (2018) can I file on his earnings, then when I reach full retirement age (2019) file on my earnings, assuming mine is higher at that time?   I don't know if it would be, when we were married are salaries were similar.    

If the proceeds I receive from his account is high enough, I could stay on it.

Not sure exactly how it works, I've heard about it.    I've heard about women filing on their husband's account but they were married for 40 years & the hubby made much more money, so of course in that case it makes sense.

Any thoughts?

I recently filed for SS. I wanted to do the same thing as you want.   The online forms asked if I'd ever been married, his SS#, name, and dates married.  I was told SS automatically looks into spousal benefits when you apply.  I didn't have to do anything extra.

CAUTION:  I filed just a couple of months ago.  Since you're waiting another year or so, be sure to call your local SS office before you file to be sure that's all you have to do.  Who knows what will change, especially with congress now wanting to slash SS.  

From what I have read you wil have to provide a copy of your divorce decree.

@shell garden yes it is possible before they die to get benefits if you have all the elements covered.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.
"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I have a question....Are you working now or are you retired from your job?  If you are not working, I would not wait until you are at full retirement age to start receiving your own SS benefits!  I would get the money now!  

Many may disagree with home, but waiting would not give you that much more money!  I elected to start my SS at 62 years of age....Not because I needed the money because I receive a retirement pension for the rest of my life, but because I don't know when the GOOD LORD ABOVE will take me home, and I wanted to have this and deserved this for all my years of paying into it!

Besides, I am afraid if we aren't grandfathered in to receive it, it may not be available in a year or two....Who knows?  I am 64 and have put this SS in my savings for the past 2 years.  If my ex passes before me, I will go back and claim his.....If I pass before....Who cares, I have my money already in the bank!   OH HAPPY DAY!  😉😝😜😋😊😄💕

Valued Contributor

I believe you have to be married for 20 years or you can't use your spouse's SS benefits. I'm sure the SS office or online can help you.

Honored Contributor

Hi @software - I don't know the rules, but found this online, may be of some help to you.  And I'm pretty sure I read that you can collect on your ex husband's benefit while he is still alive.

https://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/WomenandSSrev1.pdf

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/collecting-on-your-exs-social/

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

Hi @software - I don't know the rules, but found this online, may be of some help to you.  And I'm pretty sure I read that you can collect on your ex husband's benefit while he is still alive.

https://www.ssa.gov/sf/FactSheets/WomenandSSrev1.pdf

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/making-sense/collecting-on-your-exs-social/

Good info. to add to my files.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I am working but I don't like it.    I've developed a couple of health issues and my job is demanding, I put in 11 hour days.    I should be grateful, and I am, but this old body is not what it used to be!

If I wait until full retirement age, 4/1/2019, I can receive about $200 per month more than if I retire at 65 in 2018.    That extra $200 would go a long way, probably toward health care of some kind.   I do not have a pension, SS would be my only income, other than savings & other assets.

But if I can file on my ex-husband's SS# when I file for Medicare, I'd like to do that if his benefit is higher than mine.  And if my benefit is higher at age 66, I'd like to file on mine and drop his.

I'm not worried about SS for folks at my age, and I don't want to get into any kind of political debate about it.    This has been discussed for the past 20 years and no one has done anything about it.

@shell garden

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I misspoke!  Went back and looked at my paperwork when talking to SS office!

At at 62, I decided not to wait and start taking my SS benefits even though I have a nice substantial retirement from my job.  

I could take my ex-s SS benefits but, it only be 1/2 of his and my benefits alone was more than 1/2 of his....So I took mine!  If and when he passes, I can then go back and claim his, 100%.....Which will be about $ 500 more a month than what I get right now!  He is over 70 and waited until 70 to get his and he is still working!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

@shell garden wrote:

Sorry, I misspoke!  Went back and looked at my paperwork when talking to SS office!

At at 62, I decided not to wait and start taking my SS benefits even though I have a nice substantial retirement from my job.  

I could take my ex-s SS benefits but, it only be 1/2 of his and my benefits alone was more than 1/2 of his....So I took mine!  If and when he passes, I can then go back and claim his, 100%.....Which will be about $ 500 more a month than what I get right now!  He is over 70 and waited until 70 to get his and he is still working!

Valued Contributor

So, if the spouse takes SS at 62 through her husband's SS, wouldn't she get less than half since she is taking it early?  Also if she takes it early and out lives her husband, can she take his at 100% at his death, even though she took SS early or will it also be reduced?