Honored Contributor

Re: Social Clubs, Country Clubs, etc

[ Edited ]

@Irshgrl31201

It's opposite.

Gentile commonly means 'non-Jew'.

The club was a restrictive Jewish country club...occasionally lifting that requirement for open membership.

Restrictive clubs aren't new...and still exist today.  They're not billed as 'restrictive', but they're out there.

Columbian Country Club:  Here in Dallas it was defined as Jewish membership only.  Just recently as 2000, the membership #s were dropping & eventually in 2006 they had to close down the Country Club.  It's now re-branded as a golf club where $$$$ is the barrier.

Augusta National:

1975: first year a Black man was able to play the course.  

1990: first year an Africian-American was granted club membership.

Tiger Woods first played at Augusta in 1997.  Only eight years earlier....THE Tiger Woods would've been able to play at Augusta, but if he wanted to become a member? Forget it.

Augusta and women members?   Only recently as 2012, they finally let women in. 

Trusted Contributor

Ahhhh, I understand now. We also have a club like that here, but it isn't necessarily restrictive, non-Jewish people can join. It's actually a beautiful facility and they host events where they bring in guest speakers from all faiths to participate. They also offer a lot for seniors, they have exercise classes, yoga, pool, classes are also taught there to learn all kinds of hobbies or interest. It's on the other side of town so not as close and it does not have dancing, which I do enjoy.
Respected Contributor

Great advice!

Trusted Contributor

The small membership at this club more than likely has to do with the allowable capacity of full. It's an old home that was turned into the German American club 114 years ago, 3 years ago the membership dwindled below 50, the sold it to the members who maintain it as a non profit organization and made it a social club for the community.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Noreen wrote:

I should clarify. I would want it to be a place that welcomes everyone.

I belong to a "private" social/country club that I did not realize was open to "Gentiles." Smiley Wink  Every few years, the club has "open" memberships.  Been a member for 20+ years now.

I initially went w/a "non-Gentile" friend.  That is when I found out there were separate fees if you did not want to take advantage of all the club had to offer.

I pay a yearly fee for their "spa" package.  My yearly package fee has been drastically reduced (more than 1/2) because I am a "senior." yahoo.gif 

Package includs the use of the olympic pool, spa/massage, steam room, jacuzzi & excercise classes.

@Mz iMac  Heart  One of the many "perks" of being a "senior!"  

whistling.gif

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201

"Maybe you could clear this up?"

The first 2 paragraphs of sidsmom's post cleared it up quite nicely.  A Gentile is a non-Jew.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Surprised many here did not know this!

=========

@sidsmom

TY Languages.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

Okay, this will seem off the wall but how lucky your Ma has an Elvis club.  I wish there was some kind of Prince club I could join around here where like minded folks could meet and dance around to his music.

Alas I have to be satisfied with fan pages like Housequake and Prince Vault.  I just participated in a live stream (got the heads up from Housequake on my day off) of George Clinton's 75th birthday party concert in Amsterdam.

Lots of the folks that chatted throughout the concert are also Prince fans. It was neat - folks from all over the world.

I get it where I can , rofl.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama

Start your own club! Or you can look at meetup.com and see if there are other people like yourself who already started a club or would be interested in starting one. If you are not familiar with the website check them out, they find clubs in your area of all types of interest, photography, book clubs, dance clubs, you name it they have a club. I have been so busy working hard the last four years I really alienated myself from social activities but I have looked at it before.

Let me know if you check it out. I am not sure where you live, is it a small town or community? I do live in a large city so that could be more beneficial for some.
Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

I'll check it out.  It's hard to find folks who had the endurance to stick with Prince his whole career.  In their defense, the man didn't make it easy.

Honored Contributor

This really isn't funny - I went to the site and keyed in Prince.  Got two hits for a local substance abuse recovery group.

Hmm, maybe I'll work the facebook angle.