Honored Contributor

Re: So much negativity in the world

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I was always taught in polite society you do not discuss religion or politics.  

@DiAnne  I was taught the same thing.  To me, both are a personal choice and should be treated as such. 

@lucymo 

I heard that as a child, but think about it.  Politics affects our lives in just about every way, it would be silly never to discuss it with your family or others.  We take classes on it in high school and college.  It's all over the news, we can listen but not speak?

Religion is an important part of history, the core of most cultures, wars even.  There is no way to learn history without also learning how religion has played a part in life.

@Noel7  I agree that religion and politics are interesting to study.  But, discussing in class or in some situations is a totally different thing than with friends who have very definite views on both.  In my circle of friends we respect each others views on both and do not discuss either. This works for us.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@DiAnne  I was taught the same thing.  To me, both are a personal choice and should be treated as such. 

@lucymo 

I heard that as a child, but think about it.  Politics affects our lives in just about every way, it would be silly never to discuss it with your family or others.  We take classes on it in high school and college.  It's all over the news, we can listen but not speak?

Religion is an important part of history, the core of most cultures, wars even.  There is no way to learn history without also learning how religion has played a part in life.

@Noel7  I agree that religion and politics are interesting to study.  But, discussing in class or in some situations is a totally different thing than with friends who have very definite views on both.  In my circle of friends we respect each others views on both and do not discuss either. This works for us.

I'm glad it does work for you @lucymo

I am Protestant and come from a long line of ministers.  My mother was Roman Catholic, my husband and daughter's paternal heritage is Ashkenazi Jewish.  I have had friends who were Muslim.  FYI, Abraham was the father of all three.

I've talked about religion often with all of them, even on this board before the ban.  imo the best thing we can do is learn about others.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7, think that it all depends upon the group in which you find yourself. I've found myself in groups that defy intelligent conversation about politics or religion. I think that's why some go by the old adage not to discuss them at dinner. It all depends upon your seat mates. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Noel7, think that it all depends upon the group in which you find yourself. I've found myself in groups that defy intelligent conversation about politics or religion. I think that's why some go by the old adage not to discuss them at dinner. It all depends upon your seat mates. :-)

Oh, I agree.  There are many people I wouldn't discuss it with, they would not be able to hold a civil  or intelligent conversation @suzyQ3   Why waste time?

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@lucymo 

I am Protestant and come from a long line of ministers.  My mother was Roman Catholic, my husband and daughter's paternal heritage is Ashkenazi Jewish.  I have had friends who were Muslim.  FYI, Abraham was the father of all three.

I've talked about religion often with all of them, even on this board before the ban.  imo the best thing we can do is learn about others.

@Noel7  I'm happy that works for you.  We each have to do whatever works for us but I don't discuss either with friends or relatives. It hasn't ended well in the past.

Have a wonderful evening, Noel, and stay warm if you're in a cold, snowy climate like I am. 

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@lucymo 

@Noel7  I'm happy that works for you.  We each have to do whatever works for us but I don't discuss either with friends or relatives. It hasn't ended well in the past.

Have a wonderful evening, Noel, and stay warm if you're in a cold, snowy climate like I am. 

You. too @lucymo  Nice talking to you Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

@lucymo 

There's a reason discussion of politics and religion is banned here.

Keepin' it real.
Valued Contributor

2017 was just a marvelous year for me and mine.

We welcomed a new grandchild into the world in the latter part of December.

My 401K is now an 801K, as some wag on the internet put it.

Personally, I think we live in an amazing time.  Our country, and the world, has problems but it was ever thus.

When I was a kid, the Jetsons were the only ones who could make phone calls with pictures of the people you were calling on the other end.  Now everyone can.  The explosion of wealth and technology across the world is astounding.

I say delve deeply into your faith, if you have one, and stay away from people who insist you mirror their faith or their politics.  I adore conversations about both, but I choose to engage in those types of conversations solely with people who have the maturity and wisdom to recognize that others may not share their views.  And that's okay.

I sincerely wish you all a wonderful 2018!  Seek the goodness in the world and you will find it.

Honored Contributor

@Oostende wrote:

Personally, I think we live in an amazing time.  Our country, and the world, has problems but it was ever thus.

When I was a kid, the Jetsons were the only ones who could make phone calls with pictures of the people you were calling on the other end.  Now everyone can.  The explosion of wealth and technology across the world is astounding.

I say delve deeply into your faith, if you have one, and stay away from people who insist you mirror their faith or their politics.  I adore conversations about both, but I choose to engage in those types of conversations solely with people who have the maturity and wisdom to recognize that others may not share their views.  And that's okay.

I sincerely wish you all a wonderful 2018!  Seek the goodness in the world and you will find it.

@Oostende

I don't think we have ever been this close to nuclear war.  There's a difference, right there.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Oostende wrote:

@Oostende

I don't think we have ever been this close to nuclear war.  There's a difference, right there.

October 1962...Cuban Missile Crisis...ring a bell?

Keepin' it real.