Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@violann wrote:

Typically, "cradle raised" computer users will say

"I can find the answe to ANY QUESTION by simply using my computer"

Here's a problem as I see it- many of the people in the "cradle" group have no idea what they're asking about, or how to ask.

Or know how to find those same answers if there is on computer/internet. 

Research skills and problem solving are really being lost.

On The Five the other day, Juan Williams admitted that he doesn't do research.  Doesn't stop him from voicing an "educated" opinion though.  Right after he said it, I literally yelled "DUH!!!!" at the tv.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Honored Contributor

All I can say is that you all are right. It's scary, to be honest.

Honored Contributor
People don't churn their own butter anymore and they are too lazy to take a bucket down to the creek to get their water. They'd rather get it from a sink!!!! What is this world coming too....
Esteemed Contributor

Posters - Start a movement in your communities.  Teach and expose the youth to the lost skills.  It's those that do for others in this way that get remembered in history for their actions and the gifts they imparted.  Who knows, you could be on some legal tender some day. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Life moves on.  We have gained many wonderful skills.  I love how I can make a note on one device and have it spread to all the others.  Right on the phone I can see when the tires were last rotated and tell the mechanic if they are due.  Voicemail is the most wonderful thing ever.  Who needs a map when your phone will give voice instructions while you are driving?  Good riddance.

What if your phone is dead?  The less we use our brains, the faster they degrade.

Did you know that we're overdue for a massive EMP pulse from the sun?  It could be bad enough to wipe out anything with a chip...and then what happens?

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

Don't know if this was mentioned but how about Geography.  I know here in the Los Angeles School District that Geography is taught and hasn't been taught for years.  The students haven't a clue what a continent is or where one is.  Nor where the states are located.  Sad. 

Wow did not know that. You are right, very sad.

Yes, it is sad, and it explains why we're toward the bottom on world testing in geography.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@kdgn wrote:

The need to count change back disappeared when cash registers became sophisticated enough to tell the person what amount of money to return to the customer. 

Amount tendered minus the amount charged=change back. That's how it's been done for a very long time now. And that's how the cashier has been taught to give the change: the total return given on the receipt. 

That is how it works. Until. Until the power goes out and you are in line at the grocery and you have to stand there forever because the cashier has no clue how to operate without her computer (it has happend to me). Until you go to a garage sale, and have no idea if you are getting the correct change for your $20. 

If the power goes out at the grocery store, the grocery store is closing, because all the merchandise has to be scanned.

Esteemed Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

Life moves on.  We have gained many wonderful skills.  I love how I can make a note on one device and have it spread to all the others.  Right on the phone I can see when the tires were last rotated and tell the mechanic if they are due.  Voicemail is the most wonderful thing ever.  Who needs a map when your phone will give voice instructions while you are driving?  Good riddance.

What if your phone is dead?  The less we use our brains, the faster they degrade.

Did you know that we're overdue for a massive EMP pulse from the sun?  It could be bad enough to wipe out anything with a chip...and then what happens?

@Blahblahvampemer, I was thinking the same thing about sun flares while reading this thread. Unlikely, but not impossible. I am as prepared as I can be in that eventuality, with supplies and books that tell how me to do something I don't currently have the skills to do. But I can fish and clean them! And I've done the whole chicken thing. I think if something so disastrous happened that we were without all modern conveniences for any length of time, the concept of "community" would emerge again, stronger than ever. At least that is my hope.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Super Contributor

Well, I sure don't raise all my food (we grow some, but certainly not an amount/ variety to stay alive, lol!), grow-spin-weave my clothes, lay my paper and bind my books. I cannot manufacture steel and build a car, I do not purify my water and take away my waste water. I don't operate the machines that allow me to be on the internet. I have no way to make my own medicines nor can I operate the robotic surgeons that save so many lives. 

I LOVE old skills and old things! BUT I do not look at the past with rose-colored glasses. 

Cashiers made mistakes all the time. Cars broke down all the time. I love to read, and looking for things in the library used to be so difficult and depended on what the library carried and could get. Now I have the world at my fingertips, and I really like that! Adapt!!!, lol!

Trusted Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Well, I sure don't raise all my food (we grow some, but certainly not an amount/ variety to stay alive, lol!), grow-spin-weave my clothes, lay my paper and bind my books. I cannot manufacture steel and build a car, I do not purify my water and take away my waste water. I don't operate the machines that allow me to be on the internet. I have no way to make my own medicines nor can I operate the robotic surgeons that save so many lives. 

I LOVE old skills and old things! BUT I do not look at the past with rose-colored glasses. 

Cashiers made mistakes all the time. Cars broke down all the time. I love to read, and looking for things in the library used to be so difficult and depended on what the library carried and could get. Now I have the world at my fingertips, and I really like that! Adapt!!!, lol!

Adapting is all well and good, but what happens to society with no real skills?  Manufacturing is going overseas, we don't make or grow much on a personal level, $15/hr. jobs will be replaced with automation, blue-collar jobs are dismissed, and as the government attacks ranchers and farmers, we import more of our food.  

When any type of disaster strikes, how will people function?  How will we compete with the rest of the world?