Honored Contributor

@SaRina wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

well people don't ride horses to town anymore either, life moves on

I was going to point this out.  We also don't light kerosene lamps or cook our meals over the fire.

It's sad to us because these are things we grew up doing and we are now in the midst of change.  But as humankind evolves, so must technology and our ways.  We will most likely look very different in the long-term future too.

Unless you do like some campers do.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut First off, I hope you have very skilled people around you to get you back to feeling better and out of there!  Heart  You let us know if they aren't treating you right and have you back home soon.  Us QVC peeps have your back.  Smiley Happy Heart  

You are so right about the lack of actual communication skills.  Luckily they are young enough that they thought it was funny and we busted them right away.  None of them have their own phone yet so it was a thrill to be on their parents' devices but it's coming in the next year or two.  

I'm actually waiting until they do get a personal cell phone so their aunt can blow them up with texts.  Kids never turn off their phones so I'm looking forward to a whole decade's worth of embarrassment.  My sisters put their whole lives on Facebook so I have a treasure trove of photos that may just pop up from time to time.  And, since I only talk face to face, they'll have to hunt me down to ask me to stop that.    Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy    

Respected Contributor

I don't disagree, technology marches forward. However, since we still use money, it would be nice if people knew how to count/make change.

SURPRISE. Have parents and teachers let us down yet again on the basics?

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

There's always confusion and a sense of loss during a time of transition.

Respected Contributor

When the spell check wasn't working around here, there were many threads with a lot of upset people - it's not just the younger generation that comes to rely on technology.

Esteemed Contributor

I have very few friends who will actually pick up a phone and call anymore, it's all text communication. I do have one friend who calls, though, and the first words out of his mouth are always, "I just wanted to hear your voice." Sweet!

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

@Jacie wrote:

I don't disagree, technology marches forward. However, since we still use money, it would be nice if people knew how to count/make change.

SURPRISE. Have parents and teachers let us down yet again on the basics?

different topics are being taught in the schools, we can disagree about it, but perhaps the need to make change isn't needed,  Heck if I needed to count change back now I wouldn't be able to  automatically either

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

kind of funny, kind of sad, and kind of true (unless you're in Charleston, Savannah, Delaware Amish and Menonite country sure there are many others)

but I sure got an nice image just from your few wordsSmiley Happy

Also, even though I too lament the lost skills of this next generation (or lack of social skills due to relating to a screen rather than an actual person), I also admire how they seem to pick up everything so fast on the latest tech stuff and actually WANT to learn it or have known it since they were born!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@MaggieMack wrote:

I have very few friends who will actually pick up a phone and call anymore, it's all text communication. I do have one friend who calls, though, and the first words out of his mouth are always, "I just wanted to hear your voice." Sweet!

funny because I very rarely use my fancy (Granny Clampett speak) phone to talk on either. 

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

kind of funny, kind of sad, and kind of true (unless you're in Charleston, Savannah, Delaware Amish and Menonite country sure there are many others)

but I sure got an nice image just from your few wordsSmiley Happy

Also, even though I too lament the lost skills of this next generation (or lack of social skills due to relating to a screen rather than an actual person), I also admire how they seem to pick up everything so fast on the latest tech stuff and actually WANT to learn it or have known it since they were born!

Certainly true, but they don't really live in our world :-)