Honored Contributor

Good take!! How about the people interviewed on the street, who do not know, common questions or not able to identify people by their faces and these are voting age people, some college students, parents, etc. They can access so much now electronically in the snap of a finger and yet, so much is missed.

I began to wonder if the calendars we have now, that show say WWII anniversary dates of things in history. I just feel like, when did they quit teaching history? Current events? etc.

I guess if it doesn't apply/it doesn't interest. I get that. But then, when I went to school, it wasn't about that. What happened, electronics. Some good, some not so good.

Honored Contributor

Typically, "cradle raised" computer users will say

"I can find the answe to ANY QUESTION by simply using my computer"

Here's a problem as I see it- many of the people in the "cradle" group have no idea what they're asking about, or how to ask.

Respected Contributor

A friend who is a lot younger than I am asked me for a certain recipe.  I got out an index card and started to write it down, and she looked at me like I was nuts lol

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio

I left my response in that thread also. Happy to see you taught your kids how to do basic math without a calculator. It is a shame that so many have to rely exclusively on electronics to do simple add/subtract and divide.

I an typing this on our tablet from my hospital room. Been here since Saturday afternoon with suspected heart issues. Also since my Hemoglobin numbers have dropped drastically, once again, internal bleeding is the suspect.

Have a Pandanoscopy(Colonoscopy and Endo) in 1 procedure, scheduled for tomorrow. So looks like I will be drinking my 20th Gallon of GoLytley Colon Cleaner later today.

Anyways, math/bookkeeping/general business were my main classes in high school. Working with money, in my opinion, a person needs more than exclusive electronic devices to complete cash and other transactions.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Mominohio

I left my response in that thread also. Happy to see you taught your kids how to do basic math without a calculator. It is a shame that so many have to rely exclusively on electronics to do simple add/subtract and divide.

I an typing this on our tablet from my hospital room. Been here since Saturday afternoon with suspected heart issues. Also since my Hemoglobin numbers have dropped drastically, once again, internal bleeding is the suspect.

Have a Pandanoscopy(Colonoscopy and Endo) in 1 procedure, scheduled for tomorrow. So looks like I will be drinking my 20th Gallon of GoLytley Colon Cleaner later today.

Anyways, math/bookkeeping/general business were my main classes in high school. Working with money, in my opinion, a person needs more than exclusive electronic devices to complete cash and other transactions.

hckynut(john)

O/T John I am so sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. I will pray that all goes well and you will be home quickly with your wife and beautiful sweet pets...

Hang in there!

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

My feeling is some kids want to escape reality, and maybe even interacting with their wonderful aunt. It is a shame some young ones will have a hard time communicating with real people later in life when it is imperative.

To me it is a shame, to me anyways. Just my opinion

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: So many lost skills

[ Edited ]

@jackthebear wrote:

well people don't ride horses to town anymore either, life moves on

I was going to point this out.  We also don't light kerosene lamps or cook our meals over the fire.

It's sad to us because these are things we grew up doing and we are now in the midst of change.  But as humankind evolves, so must technology and our ways.  We will most likely look very different in the long-term future too.

Honored Contributor

John, hope it turns out good for you.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I was told this by a friend.

Her young co-worker (twenty something) placed a phone call and got a busy signal.  Young person couldn't figure out what the beeping meant.  

Respected Contributor

Every generation bemoans the skills that don't carry over to the next generation. 

We no longer write with quill and ink. We no longer make our own clothes out of necessity. we no longer wash our clothes in a stream. We no longer keep horses for our only transportation. 

As technology changes, so do we change.  It's life and it's been this way since humans first evolved.

I'm 61 years old and I was never any good at reading a map nor was Math my strong suit.  I am more than happy to use technology for things that never did work well for me.

~Enough is enough~