Honored Contributor

I know a number of people who are worried about the end of the world..........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

Wow! How this got from lost skills to surviving a worldwide disaster, I have no idea. Didn't read every single post, but this went from schools not teaching cursive, basic geography, map reading, directions, counting change, to not churning butter, sewing your own clothes, canning, growing your food any longer, and then finally lost manufacturing, collecting water, and cooking food over an open fire, which you had to make yourself and building your own shelter. My point being, we're getting carried away here. The OP was referring to skills that I feel are still necessary in this day and age. Sometimes the GPS makes mistakes; I've had it happen. You need to know that north is opposite of south and east is opposite of west. You need to know where the states are located, where the countries are located, etc. Common sense, general knowledge. Although, I have to agree about the manufacturing disappearing from this country. We are so dependent on overseas manufacturing, that if there were to be another world war, our country would not be able to be self sustainable. That scares me. However, worrying about Armageddon is not what this thread started out to be. People....take a deep breath and relax.

Why are you telling others to take a deep breath and relax?  You seem to be the only one upset.

Respected Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I used to work with a girl who gave her step daughter, aged 13 or so, a watch. She had no clue what is was or how to tell time that wasn't digital. 

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I used to work with a girl who gave her step daughter, aged 13 or so, a watch. She had no clue what is was or how to tell time that wasn't digital. 

I can relate. When my daughter was in high school, age 16, she was the only student in one of her classes that could read a clock!!!!

Respected Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

Wow! How this got from lost skills to surviving a worldwide disaster, I have no idea. Didn't read every single post, but this went from schools not teaching cursive, basic geography, map reading, directions, counting change, to not churning butter, sewing your own clothes, canning, growing your food any longer, and then finally lost manufacturing, collecting water, and cooking food over an open fire, which you had to make yourself and building your own shelter. My point being, we're getting carried away here. The OP was referring to skills that I feel are still necessary in this day and age. Sometimes the GPS makes mistakes; I've had it happen. You need to know that north is opposite of south and east is opposite of west. You need to know where the states are located, where the countries are located, etc. Common sense, general knowledge. Although, I have to agree about the manufacturing disappearing from this country. We are so dependent on overseas manufacturing, that if there were to be another world war, our country would not be able to be self sustainable. That scares me. However, worrying about Armageddon is not what this thread started out to be. People....take a deep breath and relax.

@WSfan  Threads become "hijacked". A routine MO.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I can relate. When my daughter was in high school, age 16, she was the only student in one of her classes that could read a clock!!!!

When my daughter was in Kindergarten, the principal told us not to buy our children a digital watch or clock until they could read an anolog one. Good advice.

Super Contributor

I wish people would still write thank you cards.  Last year, I bought my great niece a camera. I really spent a lot of time researching for the best one. I never got a thank you, and really don't know if she liked it. 

This year, I sent her a certificate for clothes from her favorite store. It's been a couple of weeks, still haven't heard from her.

Oh, her mom, my niece DID say thank you to me on FB. Sorry, but that just doesn't do it for me.  I always sat my DD down to write a thank you note. IMO it's the right thing to do.

Honored Contributor

"Teach your children well."

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

Honored Contributor

Re: So many lost skills

[ Edited ]

No one is going to need to know how to haul water from the well  and if they ever need to, they can probably figure it out without a class (not exactly a "skill" is it?  And the worst that could happen if they run out of butter and can't churn their own is that they don't eat butter for awhile. 

The skills that actually teach people how to think, reason, make decisions, those are skills that should never be lost.  Basic math skills engage the brain.  Punching numbers into a computer doesn't. 

Communication with others is also a very necessary skill and, if lost, would set humanity back who knows how long.  That is the one I am most concerned about.  I can't even tell you how many times I've been around a group of people whose heads are in their phones while those around them are having conversation.  Those who only communicate by text haven't a clue how to actually talk to another person face-to-face.  They may be shy and the phone allows them to avoid having to develop the skills of communicating and relating to others, but it is a necessary and extremely important skill set to have.  Or, of course, they may not be shy, just not have been taught anything about the art of conversation.  Either way, if we can't communicate face to face we are in a lot of trouble!

Honored Contributor

Our precious neighbor is graduating college in a couple weeks.  We got her invitation to a luncheon & bless her heart she hand printed the envelope.  I love this child but her printing needs to be worked on, how pretty it would've been if it had been written in cursive.   Her brother is getting married a week later- our invitation was on printed labels, white labels but still doesn't anyone take the time.  I used to do wedding invitations for people & it wasn't a big deal to have something hand written and more personal feeling..  Just my look at it..  

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

@Smoky wrote:

Our precious neighbor is graduating college in a couple weeks.  We got her invitation to a luncheon & bless her heart she hand printed the envelope.  I love this child but her printing needs to be worked on, how pretty it would've been if it had been written in cursive.   Her brother is getting married a week later- our invitation was on printed labels, white labels but still doesn't anyone take the time.  I used to do wedding invitations for people & it wasn't a big deal to have something hand written and more personal feeling..  Just my look at it..  

@Suziepeach

Maybe she prints because she doesn't like her own handwriting.  So many people have terrible handwriting.  You know the old story about people not being able to read the handwriting of doctors. 

I have nice handwriting but I sure wouldn't want to address wedding invitations, it would make me nervous.