Super Contributor

Smudging your home with sage...

I'm thinking about smudging or saging my home, the purification ritual to cleanse your home of negative energy and bring in good vibes and positive energy. 2013 was full of bad energy for us, lots of illness and loss. Even 2014 hasn't started out well with being sick with the flu. I have been thinking about doing a sage on the house for a long time and have done some research about the ritual and how it should be properly performed to be effective. I've never done a saging ceremony myself, but have had clients that smudged their homes when they were selling them to get rid of the negative energy and help the home sell, and they seemed to think it worked. I'm not selling our house, just feel surrounded by a "dark cloud", it's hard to explain, but I think the house definitely is in need of a fresh atmosphere and positive energy.

Curious from those of you that have performed a saging on your home, or know people that have, any special tips or advice? Also, did it really work? Did you feel a lightening or change in the energy of your space? Thanks in advance.

Super Contributor

Re: Smudging your home with sage...

I think you could smudge your house with anything and if it made you feel better so be it. It is not the sage... it is all in your head.

Contributor

It sounds like voodoo to me but whatever floats your boat.

I couldn't get past the smell for I don't like sage but it will be interesting to see your replies.

Super Contributor

Thanks, can always count on you for an uplifting response.

Stormy, I didn't ask for opinions about saging, I asked for information from people that have done it or are familiar with it. Your opinion about it does me no good whatsoever.

Super Contributor

On 1/6/2014 Jules5280 said:

Thanks, can always count on you for an uplifting response.

by all in your head, I mean that if you put out positive vibs into the environment... you will bring in positive. I think the sage is just a tool to doing that. Anyway, it does smell nice AND since it has been done for centuries.... there must be SOMETHING to it!

Honored Contributor

I've heard that a lot of people "cleanse" their homes with sage. Haven't known anyone that did it, but why not? Couldn't hurt, and we all need "good" energy.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

Not part of my belied system but there is nothing wrong with it imo. Regardless, wouldn't be an option in my home with DH's asthma.

Super Contributor

On 1/6/2014 gazelle77 said:

I think you could smudge your house with anything and if it made you feel better so be it. It is not the sage... it is all in your head.

I hear what you are saying. One could smudge their home with dried rosemary, and it would accomplish the same thing. As long as the person is thinking positive thoughts, it doesn't really matter what tool they are using.

As for me, the smell of burnt sage is awful. Maybe that's why the "bad" spirits leave. They can't stand the stink!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

And yes, I have tried using sage to "cleanse" my home. I didn't notice any change of "good energy" vs. "bad energy".

Was Yuban, then changed to Plaid Pants due to forum upgrade, and apparently, I'm back to being Yuban.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm all out of sage. Will it work with oregano?

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Super Contributor

On 1/6/2014 sunala said:

I'm all out of sage. Will it work with oregano?

Hey- here in Washington State... we smuge with POT legally now!