Respected Contributor

Small Task to Save Aggrevation Later

As we are home trying to be constructive, may I make a suggestion.  If you are a couple and your utility bills are under just one of your names, you might want to consider adding your name as an authorized user.  For example, when DFIL opened his cable account, he only put himself as an account holder.  Since he passed away, my poor MIL can't make any changes without jumping through hoops - even to have the bill forwarded to us.  

Many of our utilities were established over 30 years ago and have just DH as named holder of account.  I would find it difficult to make any changes.  So DH called several today and had me added.  Several made changes /additions quite easily.  One asked to speak to me, wanted my Social Securilty Number, etc.  I refused that personal information and after refusing several times, they offered to take my Passport Number - the nerve!!!  Then they said they would take my driver's license #.   Anyway, just thought I would pass on the suggestion.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Small Task to Save Aggrevation Later

[ Edited ]

Yes, I went thru this some years ago with the title of my parents car. Only had

one name on it. Had to pay to get it changed. Good advice @Twins Mom 

Honored Contributor

@Twins Mom My late DH and I had everything set up this way from Day 1. We learned the hard way. He was in the Air Force and on TDY and not available when I had to make a change to our phone service and it was in his name only! Got it fixed with the phone company (this was ages ago, landlines only) and when he got back we had everthing set up so that either one of us could fix/change/adjust it as needed.

Honored Contributor

we found it easier to cancel the service (needed to provide a death certificate) and then reestablish service with a new name. we did not feel the need to do it right away since we had both paper bills AND access to the account online.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

OP's suggestion is a good one. I had a very hard time getting my name added to some of my mother's account when she was no longer able to mange her finances. With most everyone working or staying at home right now, there is probably more time to spend on the phone to deal with these types of things.
Esteemed Contributor

Also you should each have your name first on some accounts, like your gas, water and electric bill credit cards also so you each get good credit ratings. DH and I split it so we each have a credit history.